none
build hyperlink in an index- MS WORD 2003 or 2010

Question

• Group,

I need to build an index with hyperlinks.  I have found that I can manually create the bookmarks using the hyperlink, but looking for a better way.  Searching the internet I have also found three links that refer to vba articles by Cindy Meister that would do exactly what I need, but unfortunately, the “page is not found”, I assume old articles.  I am working with MS Word 2003, but also have tested with WORD 2010 and still can only create the hyperlink index by manually creating with bookmarks.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Why not use Table of Contents?

If you create hyperlinks within the Index, and then update the field, the hyperlinks are removed.

So, you cannot create hyperlinks within the index, unless you unlink the index field (Ctrl+Shift+F9) and then
    create the hyperlinks. That will convert the field results to plain text, which can't be updated.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:05 AM
  • An index is alpha order versus the table of contents is page number order.  I didn't realize when updating the field it will remove the hyperlink - that definitely isn't the answer.  I have a 20 page index, I was hoping I could create a link to the topic by the index, just as the table of contents works.

Diane

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Diane:  I don't have an answer, but suggest you check the Dexter tool offered at Editorium.com by Jack Lyon. I think it may have the capabilities you're looking for. -- Bear
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:39 PM