none
PowerPoint becomes read only

Question

• I posted this question at the Microsoft Community, but did not get an answer, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this here.

A user in our office has been having this issue since we upgraded to Windows 7 & Office 2010 a few months ago: 

She'll be working in a PowerPoint presentation and saving changes without any error.  But then she tries to save her file again, and all of a sudden the file is read only and this message pops up: 

"PowerPoint was unable to open or save this document. Please ensure that you have access privileges to read or write the document and that it is not encrypted."

Read-only is not displayed in the Title Bar.  And if she tries to save it as a new document, the same message pops up.

The only way to save the file is to copy all of the slides and paste them into a new presentation.  She has to do this several times a day!

I researched the issue, and some suggestions were to:  disable add-ins, close the Preview Pane and Details pane in Windows Explorer, disable anti-virus software, change the auto-save location, save locally instead of on the network -- I have tried all of these suggestions, but the issue continues.

After doing some additional research and testing, I finally narrowed it down to Microsoft Excel Worksheet objects that are causing the problem - at least this is the only way I've been able to re-create the issue on other computers. 

So does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?  Is Microsoft aware of this issue?   

Monday, August 12, 2013 10:33 PM

Answers

• Looks like I may have figured it out! 

I have turned off (unchecked) Enable Data Execution Prevention Mode in Excel, and so far no read-only issues in PowerPoint that have Excel objects!  Yay! 

To turn off this option:

1. Open Excel.
    2. Go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View > UNCHECK the box next to Enable Data Execution Prevention Mode.
    • Marked as answer by KrystyneW Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• Looks like I may have figured it out! 

I have turned off (unchecked) Enable Data Execution Prevention Mode in Excel, and so far no read-only issues in PowerPoint that have Excel objects!  Yay! 

To turn off this option:

1. Open Excel.
    2. Go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View > UNCHECK the box next to Enable Data Execution Prevention Mode.
    • Marked as answer by KrystyneW Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Quick Question

Using Office 2010, I go under the the above path, and see this instead:

Protected View

Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet

Enable Protected View for files located in potentially unsafe locations

Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments.

Am I doing something wrong?  I have a user having the same issue so looking for a fix but not seeing the same thing as what is located above in the post.  

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:03 PM