none
MS Office 2010 - Unable to double click .xlsx files to open them

Question

• I am using Windows 7 and running MS Office 2010.

Once I upgraded from Office 07 to 2010, i have found that i can now no longer double click on .xlsx files to open them. Original .xls files are fine. When i double click on the .xlsx file it does nothing.

To open a .xlsx file i have to first open Excel then open the file (either drag or file open feature). When i go to the "Open With" it displays the excel app and it also displays the notepad.exe?? When i go to the file association page the .xlsx is assigned to the Excel program.

I have tried to run the Office repair, but nothing. I have un-installed and re-installed and the same fault. I looked into the registries I have removed the notepad.exe but it keeps coming back. I have also assigned all .xlsx files to other programs and then reverted back to excel, when set to Word, Word then tries to open the files. Anyone any ideas? And is there any reason it thinks that notepad.exe should be there?

Thanks

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Most likely this is a file association issue:

In Windows 7:
    1. Right-click the file,
    2. Select "Open With" and select [Excel 2010]
    3. Check always use this program. 

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    Monday, June 14, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer, but this is not the case. As i have mentioned i have confirmed that Excel is the default program.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:22 AM
  • You might try unassociating notepad.  There is a discussion of the approach here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-dissociate-file-types-in-windows-7-and-vista

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire
    • Marked as answer by Clubby650 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Again, thanks for your answer, its working.

I run the program and removed the .xlsx, once done the Excel started to work again. I also noticed that the Icon for the excel files has changed, I assumed that MS Office 2010 had done that.

Cheers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Thanks for the assistance appreciate the help much, it works.

Cheers

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:47 PM