none
KMS question

Question

• I don't even know where to start to find out how to do this properly with KMS:

We got 20-ish licenses of Office 2010 and installed a KMS server to handle activation. Things worked great.

Fast forward several years - we're putting in a mini computer lab for program participants and need some more licenses. We bought 10 more (Office 2010 standard this time, as we realized we didn't use the Professional Plus features on most computers). How do I install the new licenses on the KMS server? I tried to install the key using VAMT and succeeded in blowing up the existing license. I recovered the original KMS setup, but don't know where to go from here or even what to search for. Anyone know?

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Vine,

We don't need to install the new lincese on the KMS server.

I'm afraid you have mixed the KMS host key with the KMS client key.

The KMS host key is used to set the KMS host server, which you have already done. And we only need one key to be installed and activated on the Office 2010 KMS host, then it will be able to activate all volume license editions of Office 2010 KMS clients.

THe KMS client key is preinstalled with the Office applications. (The ProPlus has ProPlus client key, the Standard has Standard client key)

So, the thing is simple, just connect the computers to your KMS server, then they will be activated automatically.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 09, 2013 8:38 AM