none
Editing Normal.dotm file

Question

• Has any one done updates to Normal.dotm file?

Is there a way to script changes to autotext in that file?

Thanks for the help.....

Monday, February 04, 2013 7:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, there maybe no way to edit AutoText directly. But if you just want to delete AutoText in template, then one tool that will make the task easier is the Organizer.

Follow these steps:
    1.Choose Templates and Add-Ins from the Tools menu. Word displays the Templates and Add-ins dialog box.
    2.Click the Organizer button. Word displays the Organizer tool.
    3.Make sure the AutoText tab is displayed. Note that the right side of the Organizer should contain information for the Normal.dot file. If it does, skip to step 7. If it does not, or if your AutoText entries are in a different template than Normal.dot, continue with the next step.
    4.Click the Close File button under the right side of the Organizer. This closes the information for the template.
    5.Click Open File. Word displays a standard Open dialog box.
    6.Use the controls in the dialog box to navigate to and open the template that contains your AutoText entries.
    7.In the list of AutoText entries on the right side of the Organizer, click the first entry you want to delete.
    8.Hold down the Ctrl key as you click on other AutoText entries you want deleted.
    9.When you have selected all the entries you want to delete, click the Delete button.
    10.There may be asked if you are sure you want to delete the entries; answer Yes.
    11.Close the Organizer.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. I am looking for a way to automate that. I need to edit that file in the company wide environment. Wanted to know if its possible with a script. I think its possible with a VBA. But not really sure yet how to get it done.
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:23 PM
  • HI,

If you want some scripts, you'd better post the case in the following forum:

Microsoft Office for Developers:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/officedev

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:28 AM