none
Can I move Office 2010 from my old PC to new PC this fall?

Question

• 1) I will purhase/install Office 2010 on my current PC this week.  I plan to upgrade to new PC this fall.  Am I able to simply "delicense" my old PC and reinstall on my new PC this fall? 

2) My old PC had 2 drive crashes last year thus burning up other installs of my Office 2007.  Is Office 2010 smart enough to know it is same PC serial number so my office reinstalls are also not burned up?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, June 14, 2010 6:31 PM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Office Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Office))
    Monday, June 14, 2010 6:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Short answer - Yes.

OEM (bought with a new PC) or PKC (Product Key Card to upgrade a preinstalled Starter or Trial copy) licences cannot be transferred to a new PC.

Full Package Product (FPP) licences can be transferred. You must uninstall Office from your old PC before you dispose of it or otehrwise render it inoperable.

When you come to activate Office on your new PC you may have to use the telephone method. Just explain to the person who answers what you have done and they will give you the activation key.

Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

After uninstalling Office 2010 program from your old computer, you can install it on your new computer. If you encounter any problems when trying to activate it, you can call the activation center.

In the Activation Wizard, select the country/region where you reside and where you plan to use the product.

The wizard provides one or more telephone numbers appropriate for your selection. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.

Also, before you uninstall your Office program, please also back up your personal data first.

Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, June 18, 2010 2:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Is there supposed to be a link here for who to call?  I see the text is highlighted, but it doesn't bring up another page.

Also I have a Technet Subscription, and don't want to run through my license keys.  Can I follow this same process for my license key since it's through my Technet subscription through work?

I'm in the process of setting up a new system I'm going to migrate to.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:34 PM
  • The procedure is the same for activating Technet and MSDN licences for Office as it is for Full Package (Retail) Product.

Uninstall Office from your old PC.

Install Office on your new PC.

Activate Office on the new PC. (This happens automatically after a number of uses but you can force it from the File menu.)

If the Activation Wizard thinks there is a problem it will prompt you to make a phone call to the Activation Centre and it will give you the free phone number applicable to your location.

The computer there will gather details from you (a long string of digits) and should spit out an activation code for you to type in (another long string of digits). If there is a problem with this process you will be conected to an operator who will ask you some more questions. Tell them that you have a new PC and have removed Office from the old one. Tell them if you have a Technet or MSDN subscription too. They will check the licence key you are trying to use is not listed as stolen and then give you the activation code.

NOTE that Product Key Cards (PKC) and OEM licences (bought with a new PC) cannot be transferred to a new PC. Those licences are tied to the original PC which is one of the reasons why they are (superficially) so cheap. Buy a new PC and you have to buy Office again.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:49 PM