none
Get iCal/iCalendar for a meeting created via EWS

Question

• Hello,

I am creating a meeting (CalendarItem) on exchange using EWS. However once this meeting is created and sent, I want to be able to save the meeting request in an iCal format (live we save it in .ics format using Outlook). Is this possible? If yes, how can I do it?

Thanks,
    Purvi
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hello Purvi Vaidya,

You can start by retrieving the meeting request by first using the FindItem operation to identify it, and then use the GetItem operation to get the properties you need to construct an iCal file. The iCal format is described in RFC2445. Construct the iCal file using the information retreived in the GetItem operation. Although I have not performed this procedure, this should work fine. Additionally, per the messages.xsd schema, there are 3 iCalendar properties that you will want to use (UID, RecurrenceId, and DateTimeStamp).

Michael | Microsoft Exchange SDK
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Another option is to call GetItem specifying that you want to retrieve the MIMEContent property on the item.  For Meeting Requests it will return the ical of the item wrapped in a MIME envelope.
    Jason Henderson
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Purvi Vaidya,

You can start by retrieving the meeting request by first using the FindItem operation to identify it, and then use the GetItem operation to get the properties you need to construct an iCal file. The iCal format is described in RFC2445. Construct the iCal file using the information retreived in the GetItem operation. Although I have not performed this procedure, this should work fine. Additionally, per the messages.xsd schema, there are 3 iCalendar properties that you will want to use (UID, RecurrenceId, and DateTimeStamp).

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Another option is to call GetItem specifying that you want to retrieve the MIMEContent property on the item.  For Meeting Requests it will return the ical of the item wrapped in a MIME envelope.
    Jason Henderson
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Hi ,

I am developing an application which needs to interact with number of pop3 and exchange account .actually it need to fetch freeBusy data from different calendars like Yahoo , Google , Exhcnage many other ,i read some where all calendar support ICal standard to communicate . so i want to know how can exchnage server give me it FreeBusy values in Ical format via Exchange Webservice sdk.

Thank you Dheeraj Kumar

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Hello Kumar,

The free/busy data provided by the GetUserAvailability operation is not surfaced as iCal. You have two options. You can fetch the free/busy stream and convert the information into iCal or you can use FindItem with a CalendarView to get the item identifiers and then use GetItem to fetch the MIME stream for each item.  Please note that fetching MIME content is a relatively expensive operation in Exchange 2007 and later since the MIME content is not stored in the mailbox database. The MIME content is created from the stored properties.

The recommended best practice is to access the free/busy data from the GetUserAvailability operation. Are you able to consider this for your application?

This assumes Exchange 2007 and later.

With regards,

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:41 PM
  • HI Michael Mainer,

thank you for reply , ya i m working with that idea , one more thing i am not able to understand with "GetUserAvailability" method, suppose i have 2 attendees 

• user1@userdoamin.com
    • user2@userdomain.com

Both are required and call the method "GetUserAvailability" to get freeBusyand Suggesstion ,

now i am successfully getting calendar events , but my problem is that i am not able identity which "AttendeesAvailability" is for which attendee (for user1 or user2) .

i just want individual freebusy data of user ....

please guide me to interpret and find a good solution to achieve this ...

Thank you Dheeraj Kumar

Monday, April 09, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Hello Kumar,

I believe that the attendee availability is returned in the order in which you requested them.

With regards,

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Kumar Dheeraj Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:56 AM
    Monday, April 09, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Thank you Michael Mainer,

you have been a great help .

Thank you Dheeraj Kumar

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:57 AM