none
Exchange 2010 using dirtribution group to send on behalf of a mailbox

Question

• Hi All,

Ok so in Exchange 2007 you could mail-enable a securtiy distribution group and then crack open a shared mailbox and delegate the distribution group to be able to send on behalf of that shared mailbox. Now that we are in Exchange 2010 this no longer works?? I tried doing the same process with no such luck. I have also used the following powershell command.

get-mailbox -identity "name of mailbox" | set-mailbox -grantsendonbehalfto "distribution group"

the powershell works as I see it in the get-mailbox | fl however it does not show in the gui the group nor do the users have the ability to send on behalf that are in the distribution groups. Please help out..

What am I missing... Thanks in advance!!

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

The GrantSendOnBehalfTo parameter specifies the DN of other mailboxes that can send messages on behalf of this mailbox.

You can get more information in this document:

Set-Mailbox

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123981.aspx

When you try to grant a mailbox send on behalf of permission to a group users, you can achieve the goal by this way:

1.       Make sure you group is a mail-enabled universal security group.

Mail-Enable or Mail-Disable a Security Group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123805(EXCHG.140).aspx

2.       Use this command to grant send on behalf of permission to a group users:

Note: In my test (“help desk” is a shared mailbox, “gg” is a mail-enabled universal security grop)

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>$Users= Get-DistributionGroupMember "gg" | foreach {$_.name}

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>set-mailbox "helpdesk" -GrantSendOnBehalfTo $Users

After you run these commands, users in group (gg) have shared mailbox(help desk)’s send on behalf of permission.

You can run this command to check:

Get-mailbox “help desk” |fl Grant*

Thanks

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 7:04 AM

All replies

• Is it a mail-enabled universal security group?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hello Robert,

Any update?

Gulab | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP Messaging: 2007 | MCC 2011 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi Robert,

The GrantSendOnBehalfTo parameter specifies the DN of other mailboxes that can send messages on behalf of this mailbox.

You can get more information in this document:

Set-Mailbox

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123981.aspx

When you try to grant a mailbox send on behalf of permission to a group users, you can achieve the goal by this way:

1.       Make sure you group is a mail-enabled universal security group.

Mail-Enable or Mail-Disable a Security Group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123805(EXCHG.140).aspx

2.       Use this command to grant send on behalf of permission to a group users:

Note: In my test (“help desk” is a shared mailbox, “gg” is a mail-enabled universal security grop)

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>$Users= Get-DistributionGroupMember "gg" | foreach {$_.name}

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>set-mailbox "helpdesk" -GrantSendOnBehalfTo $Users

After you run these commands, users in group (gg) have shared mailbox(help desk)’s send on behalf of permission.

You can run this command to check:

Get-mailbox “help desk” |fl Grant*

Thanks

Evan Liu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Hi Robert,

How about the issue?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Friday, May 06, 2011 1:28 AM
  • I have been researching a similar issue and where this is close to what I want to do, I could only seem to make part of your solution work. I may be off in what I am trying to do.

I have a distribution group for an incoming email. I have two users I want to assign send to /send on behalf privledges (or whatever the correct way to call sending mail with that return email address).

For testing, i created a universal security group called Test1. I created thru your instructions the corresponding email account using that security group.

I used the following to create the first line in your permission set:

set-distribuitiongroup -identity Test1 -GrantSendOnBehalfTo dknudson

where Test1 is the name of the distribution group and dknudson is the alias for my mailbox (for testing).

that line did go through without any errors.

When I tried to enter the second line, I am confused and that may be why it failed. I tried to enter:

set-mailbox "test2 -grantSednOnBehalfTo $users

when i did that I got an errror that said it couldnt be found in my domain, management objectnotfoundexception etc.

This may be due to my not quite understanding your syntax in that example.

For demonstration purposes, lets say that I want to create the following:

Security group - universal                    "CustomerServ"

Mail distribution group based on above security group and call it "CustomerServ"

I want dsmith and bjohnson to have send rights. They are currently attached as members of both the distribution group and the security group.

thanks

dave

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Hi

I am about to migrate 2000 mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013

500 of these mailboxes have Distribution Groups with "Send on Behalf" permissions

While the solution from Evan (above) works, does this mean that I have to run this on all 500 Mailboxes?

At the moment I cannot see an alternative

Thanks

shapi

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:12 PM