none
Office Pro Plus 2010, 'cannot be activated because the product key is not valid'

Question

• I have a client with a retail copy of Office Pro Plus 2010.  Over the course of a couple years, it was installed on his old PC, which I replaced and installed on the new one, that had the hard drive die so installed on the new hard drive, and now he had a horrid infection and had to wipe it clean and am trying to reinstall Office again.  The activation wizard is saying the product key is not valid but it is the same on on the same sticker inside the same plastic case I used before.  I can't find a phone number to talk to a real human about it and the automoton on the phone activation link just says it's a bad key and to return it to the vendor.

Help!

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Tonian,

What do you mean "wipe it clean"? Did you reinstall the system?

If no, have you removed the previous installed Office before you reinstall again?

Please try follow the step-by-step solution in the support kb article:

Invalid product key errors in Microsoft Office

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178

Also Microsoft Customer Service may be able to help.

To contact the Microsoft Customer Service center call one of the following numbers:

North America (English): 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676)

UK: 0844 800 2400

If the phone number for your region not listed, please go to our Contact Us page to find your local phone number.

IMPORTANT When you contact the Customer Service center please have the following information available to provide the Customer Service representative:
    •Your Office 2010 product key
    •The version of Office 2010 you are trying to install

For more End-user questions on installing, upgrading, and activating Microsoft Office, please visit the Microsoft Answers community for help.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and markthe replies as answersif they help and unmarkthem if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Tonian,

What do you mean "wipe it clean"? Did you reinstall the system?

If no, have you removed the previous installed Office before you reinstall again?

Please try follow the step-by-step solution in the support kb article:

Invalid product key errors in Microsoft Office

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178

Also Microsoft Customer Service may be able to help.

To contact the Microsoft Customer Service center call one of the following numbers:

North America (English): 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676)

UK: 0844 800 2400

If the phone number for your region not listed, please go to our Contact Us page to find your local phone number.

IMPORTANT When you contact the Customer Service center please have the following information available to provide the Customer Service representative:
    •Your Office 2010 product key
    •The version of Office 2010 you are trying to install

For more End-user questions on installing, upgrading, and activating Microsoft Office, please visit the Microsoft Answers community for help.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and markthe replies as answersif they help and unmarkthem if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:01 AM
  • I am having a similar issue.  I am trying to move my version of Office Professional Plus to a new lap top.  I originally downloaded the software from online so I do not have the media.  I uninstalled the software and now am at the Digital river site to download and re-install the software.  However, it is telling my activation key is blocked... (I'm assuming that it is blocked since I used it on my old PC).  Since I have unistalled it from my old PC using the uninstall tool I now have no version of Office.

I did try to call MS Support but was unable to get thru the phone wizard.  I need to be at the activation window to get help and since I don't yet have the software downloaded I can't get to an activation window

• Edited by Muellermrm Friday, March 23, 2012 2:15 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:13 AM
  • Hi Tonian,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days. If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Max Meng

Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:50 AM
  • @Muellermrm,

Install the software won't make the product key being blocked.

Please try to download it from:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx

Max Meng

Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:55 AM