none
Office 2007 Setup Using MSP File With Outlook Files Removed Fails Install

Question

•  

I am currently trying to deploy Microsoft Professional Plus 2007 to our remote users. I created the file typical.msp using the OCT with the setting to NOT install Outlook, InfoPath or Publisher since we do not use these programs. I then removed the OutlookMUI.msi file and .cab files from the above programs so the office install would fit onto a CD (700 Mb).

If I run the setup.exe /admin typical.msp from the CD it installs with no issues locally but when remote users run the same install from the CD they get an error:

The file Outlook.en-us\OutlookMUI.msi could not be found. The file

Outlook.en-us\OutlookMUI.MSI could not be found.

Setup failed.  Rolling back changes...

It installed with no problems on four of my local systems with the same CD. For some reason the installation is looking for these files even though it is not suppose to install them.

All systems locally and remote are running XP Pro SP3 with Office 2003 PRO.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:28 PM

Answers

• Found the Problem! The MSP was specificing a replicated network install point. The local systems had access to this location so the install worked fine. It picked up the missing files from the network. The remote users did not have rights to the specified folder so it was failing at that point! I didnt create the initial MSP file and should have checked that.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:14 PM

All replies

• Found the Problem! The MSP was specificing a replicated network install point. The local systems had access to this location so the install worked fine. It picked up the missing files from the network. The remote users did not have rights to the specified folder so it was failing at that point! I didnt create the initial MSP file and should have checked that.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to install Office 2007 Enterprise on a Windows 7 Professional computer and I am having the same message (missing OutlookMUI.msi file). Tried installing it from XP mode, tried deleting all files from the old Vista installation, point the Office 2007 installer to where the OutlookMUI.msi file is in the installation folder and none of them work.

I wonder if the installer is looking for an "install point" as listed in your solution. How to I tell the installer where the "install point" is? Where do I find the install point?

Thanks.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:38 PM