none
XLSB File slow to calculate in Office 2010, ok in Office 2007

Question

• I have an XLSB file that was created in Excel 2007 (32-bit office with Windows XP 32-bit) that I am now trying to open that workbook in Excel 2010 (32-bit office in 64-bit Windows). 

My problem is that it is extremely slow to open under Excel 2010.  it appears that the reason it is taking so long is because excel is trying to calculate all the different formulas in the workbook.  if I go back and try to open the workbook under 2007, it opens very quickly and the calculation phase goes by almost instantly.

The workbook itself is approx 14MB, however it links to approx 32 other excel workbooks and is very forumula intensive.

I have looked at the formula calculation method, and it appears to be set to automatic in both 2007 and 2010.  The Excel Formula options also appear to be set the same. 

I have been looking at this for some time now and I am at a loss for what could be causing the difference in performance.

Is there any policies that could be causing the issue?

If anyone has any advice that might help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:08 PM

Answers

• Because the calculation engines are different Excel does a FULL calculation the first time a 2007 workbook is opened in 2010. If you let the calculation finish and then save the workbook it will be OK the next time you open it.
    Charles Excel MVP The Excel Calculation Site http://www.decisionmodels.com/
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From you description, we would suggest to try the following methods:

Disable add-ins in Excel 2010

1.Click "File" tab, and choose "Options". The "Options" window will be opened up, and click "Add-Ins" from left sidebar.

2.Select the Excel Add-ins from "Manage" dropdown box at the bottom of the windows. Click "Go" to open a dialog.

3.In the dialog you can uncheck any add-ins to disable them.

4.Click "OK" to save the setting.

5.Restart Excel 2010.

Create a new file to test

If the issue cannot be reproduced, copy all the raw data into this new file.

Try opening the original file on the Windows XP 32-bit PC with Excel 2010.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Because the calculation engines are different Excel does a FULL calculation the first time a 2007 workbook is opened in 2010. If you let the calculation finish and then save the workbook it will be OK the next time you open it.
    Charles Excel MVP The Excel Calculation Site http://www.decisionmodels.com/
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:57 AM