Error Message from outlook 2007 sp1
I am using IMAP to connect to exchange server 2003 sp2 (Front-end Back-end Tobolgy)
My client is winxp sp3
Failed to update headers
the TCP/IP Connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server
Server : 192.168.253.4
Port : 143
I increased IMAP timeout to 10 min. also disabled firewall on exchange server
disabled antispam component in the antivirus for client side, but still the error happens
any help for this
thanks in advance
There is a most likely a corruption in your PST file.
1. Close Outlook
2. Go to /program files/Microsoft Office/Office 12 and run scan SCANPST.EXE as Administrator.
3. You will find your PST file (if you have not changed it) in YOU/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/ (You can check this location by using FILE->Manage Data Files in outlook but don't forget to close it after).
4. Allow the file to scan and fix the issues.
5. Restart Outlook.
Hope that helps
- Proposed as answer by PSS76 Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:36 PM
this problem is mostly due to antivirus scanning the IMAP protocol not scanning in the outlook. so I recommend to exit your antivirus on a test machine configured with IMAP profile.
if you have done this try to make sure no firewall (many firewalls today has UTM features) between the IMAP client and your server and watch what happens.
just as a note, this problem happens frequently with my antivirus but it may also still happens (but rarely) when you disable scanning IMAP protocol in your antivirus.
I hope this is helpfull for you.
I go to programs, Microsoft Office and I don't find Office 12 - how can I find it?
Office12 is a subdirectory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ ONLY if you have Office 2007 installed. If you are using Office2003, you will have an Office11 directory. If you are still having trouble, search for "SCANPST.EXE"
Keep in mind that if your computer is 64 bit, you may have to look in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\
Hello- I am having the same issues. Running Outlook 2007 on PC. We switched from an Exchange Server hosted by Cbeyond to an IMAP hosted by AT&T. The 2 Mac users (one Mac Mail one on POP) are not having any issues all PC users are. I disabled the Firewall, the Norton, the Rules, and ALL of the add ons. I updated all Window Service Packs and rebooted the machine. I tried to clean the .pst files as was previously described have had two differnt IT companies look over the settings and still get an average of 10 to 15 Failure to Update headers error messages. Other employees (who have not done the firewall, norton, etc. changes) also get the same amount of header errors per day - some of which lead to their machine's locking up and they have to reboot. I have asked them to keep a timeline of errors received to see if maybe they occur at the same time - research? One other employee is also getting subscriber errors - not sure if they are related and I asked if there were any RSS subscriptions but he said no.
We have contacted AT&T as well but they don't seem to have an answer. They seem to think it's an Outlook error. This is driving everyone crazy and I can't find any fixes anywhere.
Hello All - I'm seeing this issue as well. Disabling the firewall on the client machine made no difference.
The main errors messages displayed in Outlook 2010 are - 'Failed to update headers' and 'the server disconnects'.
When I setup the IMAP4 profile in Outlook, the 'Test Connection Settings' completed successfully.
When I access the mailbox (using Webmail) and I can see the test email.
However - when I access the mailbox using the Outlook profile, I can't see any emails and moving between folders triggers the errors?
I setup the SMTP port 587 'Receive Connector' in Exchange 2010 and enabled the IMAP4 services, but am I missing something? There appears to connectivity between the Outlook Client and Exchange, but Outlook is not sync'ing with the mailbox correctly?
Anyone else have any ideas?
Hi All - checkout the following link for a possible solution. http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/06/10/certain-remote-client-access-can-break-if-you-change-the-default-accepted-domain-on-sbs-2011-standard.aspx
I renamed the name/label set for the default Accepted Domain from 'Company Email' to 'Company_Email' and it resolved the IMAP4 sync issues. (I can send, receive and view all mailbox content - IMAP4 profile in Outlook 2010)
No error messages (...for now!!)
- Proposed as answer by skerr2011 Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:27 PM
Do these steps as listed above BUT ALSO CHECK YOUR TIME AND DATE IS CURRENT!!!!... And the error message will go away. It fixed it for me! There is a most likely a corruption in your PST file. 1. Close Outlook 2. Go to /program files/Microsoft Office/Office 12 or 14 and run scan SCANPST.EXE as Administrator. 3. You will find your PST file (if you have not changed it) in YOU/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/ (You can check this location by using FILE->Manage Data Files in outlook but don't forget to close it after). 4. Allow the file to scan and fix the issues. 5. And most IMPORTANT, Make sure your Time and Date is current. 6. Restart Outlook.