none
Outlook 2010 hang when opening a calendar item

Question

• Hi,

One of my London users is having a problem in Outlook 2010 (Pro Plus). When he opens a calendar invite from a collegue in the New York office Outlook hangs for around 15 seconds before opening the item then after clicking Accept or Decline Outlook then hangs for a further 15-30 seconds then conutines.

The setup is two exchange servers in each region but this user is on the New York server so there is going to be latency as he is based in London. His mailbox is 2.2GB on the server and his calendar is 109MB.

The following things have been tried:

• Office 2010 has been repaired on his computer.
    • Create a new Windows and Outlook profile.
    • Remove attached PST files.
    • Open Outlook with the /resettodobar switch.

Outlook loaded the following add-ins:

• Microsoft Exchange Add-in
    • Redemption Helper Outlook Extension
    • Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin
    • Microsoft Outlook Social Connector
    • oneXCOutlookIntegrator
    • OneNote Notes about Outlook Items
    • Lookeen
    • Microsoft SharePoint Workspace Proxy for Outlook Add-in
    • Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-in
    • Business Connectivity Services Add-In

Nothing is being recorded in the event log on the computer when Outlook hangs.

Are there any suggestions on what I can try?

Regards.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Per your description, we guess this will cause by 3 reasons:

1. Network delay. Could you tell me his network environment? Site to site VPN or use Outlook Anywhere etc? Check other user has this problem in same situation.
    2. Too large mailbox size, please use archive function decrease user’s mailbox.
    3. 3rd part add-in, please disable 3rd party add-in one by one check whether it caused, especially focus oneXCOutlookIntegrator/Lookeen. (You may also launch Outlook with safe mode for testing)

Feel free to post back. Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:52 AM
  • We have some users experiencing a much longer delay (a minute or more) when opening or creating entries in their calendar. Have you tried booting Outlook in Safe Mode (hold CTRL when opening Outlook)? This worked for me and I was finally able to determine that the problem was caused (amazingly) by the Microsoft Exchange Add-in. When it's disabled the delay goes away and I don't see any difference in the behavior of Outlook. I have not had much luck determine exactly what this add-in does, but not loading it resolved the problem for whatever reason.

Matt

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Per your description, we guess this will cause by 3 reasons:

1. Network delay. Could you tell me his network environment? Site to site VPN or use Outlook Anywhere etc? Check other user has this problem in same situation.
    2. Too large mailbox size, please use archive function decrease user’s mailbox.
    3. 3rd part add-in, please disable 3rd party add-in one by one check whether it caused, especially focus oneXCOutlookIntegrator/Lookeen. (You may also launch Outlook with safe mode for testing)

Feel free to post back. Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Is this every time the colleague opens a calendar invite from this particular person or is it just an issue for a single appointment?

Have you tried making test-appointments? Is there a delay for both users or just the one?

Kthxbai

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:57 PM
  • We have some users experiencing a much longer delay (a minute or more) when opening or creating entries in their calendar. Have you tried booting Outlook in Safe Mode (hold CTRL when opening Outlook)? This worked for me and I was finally able to determine that the problem was caused (amazingly) by the Microsoft Exchange Add-in. When it's disabled the delay goes away and I don't see any difference in the behavior of Outlook. I have not had much luck determine exactly what this add-in does, but not loading it resolved the problem for whatever reason.

Matt

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:46 PM