none
Deploying Microsoft Office on a Terminal Server

Question

• HI, I saw there are a few articles out there about the rules/restrictions on loading Microsoft Office onto a Terminal Server.  I just would like a confirmation and some additional details from Microsoft on this.

If I want to load a copy of Office on a Terminal Server and have multiple users remote (internally in the company only) to the TS to use Office, only 1 user at a time is this ok under the license?  Could someone please explain the details to me to assure I do this the most efficient way possible.  What licenses work/dont work on this?

Thanks!

Dan

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

• What version of Office are you running on your TS machine?  If you have a volume license edition, then you shouldn't have any problems.  There are a lot of articles online for users who are using Office from TechNet because of some extra steps with various keys... so I need to know your version first.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Hi -

Currently we are not running any versions of Office on the TS machine, although we would probably want to deploy the newest version, either 2007 Professional or 2010 Professional.  From there we would only want the ability to remote into the machine by multiple users.  I'm mainly concerned with the legality of the issue, as I want to be sure that if we do load Office on a TS that we do this in the legal way that allows access to all our users to get access to this.  Does this make sense?  Sorry I can't provide the exact version loaded on the server but I would want the newest versional probably 2010 Open License possibly?

Thanks,
    Dan 

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:37 PM
  • So is Volume licensing the best way to go Ted or what is the best recommendation to support about 200-300 users? Potentially more in the future?

Thanks,

Dan

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hi Dan, yes, I would agree that volume licensing would be the way to go.  You may want to talk more to your Microsoft sales rep about how licensing (in the how much you pay sense) will work to support multiple TS users.

From a technical perspective, volume license editions of Office may be installed on TS machines and accessed with no problems.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:34 AM