none
Outlook 2010 Mail Indexing Not Working

    Question

  • I have several users who are unable to perform successful searches within Outlook 2010, and the system is running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit, with Outlook Professional Plus 2010 32 bit. These are all laptop users and the laptops are configured with 8 GB of RAM, and 126GB SSD drives. I have Rebuilt Indexes, rebuilt their OST file, ran SCANPST and repaired the OST, checked Indexing options, Checked the Indexing Services in Control Panel: Programs and Features: Turn Windows Features on/off. Windows Search was checked = ON; Indexing Services was not checked = OFF. I tried turning Windows Search OFF, Rebooted, Turned it On, Rebuilt Indexes again. Checked "Indexing Service" ON. The only way Indexing will work is if I disable Cache mode, which is not an option as our DMS (document management system) and EMM (email management system)  would place an undue strain on the servers, as all searches would then be server based. I have searched this forum first before posting, but did not see a fix. Using a PST file also is not an option either, so please do not suggest using PST files or disabling Cache mode. Thank you in advance.

    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:25 PM

All replies

  • I have the same problem for the past day or so and have gone through all the protocols you have. However two of my dual profiles are still working and they have admin rights.

    For the life of me I cant get the one profile which is the main profile for mail to index and its driving me insane!

    Three hours later and I still cant get it to index.

    As soon as I find a solution I will post it here.

    Mark

    CSO  CMAINFO

    Chief Support Officer

    Monday, April 16, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I have the same problem for the past day or so and have gone through all the protocols you have. However two of my dual profiles are still working and they have admin rights.

    For the life of me I cant get the one profile which is the main profile for mail to index and its driving me insane!

    Three hours later and I still cant get it to index.

    As soon as I find a solution I will post it here.

    Mark

    CSO  CMAINFO

    Chief Support Officer


    I have noticed that if you close Outlook while it is still indexing, it will start the indexing process all over again the next time you launch it. I left one of the users Outlook run for a week straight and it still did not complete indexing (well, no longer receive the indexing message, but searches do not resolve beyond April 6th)
    Monday, April 16, 2012 6:28 PM
  • I am not sure about this, but sometimes Antivirus/Mail scanner module was scanning pst/ost file and Outlook Indexing will be stopped.

    please turn off AVG or exclude pst/ost from scanning for test.

    Tony Chen

    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:27 AM
  • The ost files are already excluded from virus scanning, as we scan all incoming emails server side before they hit the client.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Same issue here. Win7 Pro/64

    Outlook 14.0.6117.5001 SP1/64

    Monday, April 23, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Same problem for me-- cant find a fix

    Win7 Pro/64

    Outlook 14.0.6117.5001 SP1/32bit

    Friday, May 11, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Somebody reported that the issue fixed in a new Windows profile. There might be some corrupted files in previous profile.

    Tony Chen

    Monday, May 21, 2012 9:48 AM
  • I had a similar problem in outlook 10 32 bit. I found out that indexing was pointing to c drive whereas i have put storing in E drive. When i moved the mouse over various items indexed, some items showed as locations unavailable . I removed thase and included E drive outlook.

    Now search email is working.

    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:42 AM
  • We are getting more and more of this issue where I work as well.  On a couple of machines I've seen this error in the event logs.

    "The content source <mapi://{S-1-5-21-(users profile"}/> cannot be accessed.
    Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog
    Details: (HRESULT : 0x80004005) (0x80004005)

    Source: Search, Event ID:3036, Task Category: Gatherer"

    nothing usefull has come up in my searches

    Rebuilding the index seems to work, problem is we have folks with laptops that take them home everynight and can't leave them in the office to do a rebuild.

    doing a constant rebuild of the index isn't helping figuring out why the service seems to be having so many problems on so different machines. 


    the indexing service found in programs and features / windows features is for legacy indexing (pre vista), so if you have a server running Windows2000 and its indexed, you add this feature to perform index assisted searches.
    • Edited by gsprague97 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:16 PM