none
Getting Error 1406 When Installing Office 2010 Pro

Question

• I have a new HP PC with Windows 7 that had Office 2010 already installed. I uninstalled it from the Control Panel and ran FixIt but am still getting the same error on two different systems when trying to install Office Pro 2010.  One machine has the original factory install of OS and the other has a company image install with Windows 7.  The Office 2010 Pro will install on our Gateway machines with no issues. It seems to only be the new HPs that had a factory install of Office 2010 (not Pro) on them.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:35 AM

Answers

• What I found that worked was, instead of running the setup from the server, I placed the folder on the desktop and the install completed successfully. Don't know why this was an issue this time, but it worked. Thanks for the assistance.
    Richard Davis
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Kindly read kb 838687 for how to sovle this error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

Let me know if it work for you.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:54 AM
  • What I found that worked was, instead of running the setup from the server, I placed the folder on the desktop and the install completed successfully. Don't know why this was an issue this time, but it worked. Thanks for the assistance.
    Richard Davis
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Here is how I fixed this issue after attempting a number of variations on installing Office 2010 on an XP machine (note extreme patience and some expertise needed):

a: Make a list of all the failures of key updates as you hit Ignore and go thorough with all the installation as it will complete. Six to ten keys will show this failure.

b: Regedit - Go through all of the keys and delete sub key InprocServer32.

c: Export all the keys from another good XP installation of Office2010. (e.g. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046})

d: Import each key into affected machine.

e: Repair the installation.

I believe that rebuilding keys manually would take way too long and be prone to errors.

Reloading OS need to be contemplated if the above is not an option. 

• Edited by Jose Nunez Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:14 PM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:12 PM