none
Excel 2010 crashes when using save as on 2003 excel document.

Question

• I have a user using Excel 2010, on a Windows Server 2008 R2 RDP session.  When he edits a file that was created in Excel 2003, such as do a custom sort on a table, and then tries to save the file as another name, Excel 2010 crashes.

The following is documented in the Event Viewer Logs:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8

Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0046b6dc

Faulting process id: 0x256c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb853e9947aedb

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Report Id: a9d1d2eb-f133-11df-b3e9-000acd1a7ef2.

If I convert the file first to a 2010 format, and have him work on it, and use save as, there is no issue, however, then it has to be converted back to the 2003 format, which is more than I expect any user to have to do.  (The people he shares this file with will not accept it with an extension other than the 2003 format, which even if they did, this should not be an issue anyway).

Please help, and thanks ahead of time. 

(Also, I have already tried reinstalling Office to see if that was the issue to no avail, and moved the files he was working on to another location (different drive), also to find no solution.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, check if it crashes when starting Excel in safe mode.

Start the Office program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

Disable add-ins

a.      Click File menu, click Options >  Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.

b.      Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.

c.       Close the Office program and restart it.

d.      Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

Second, you can also check the issue in Windows clean boot mode to see if it is caused by some software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, check if it crashes when starting Excel in safe mode.

Start the Office program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

Disable add-ins

a.      Click File menu, click Options >  Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.

b.      Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.

c.       Close the Office program and restart it.

d.      Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

Second, you can also check the issue in Windows clean boot mode to see if it is caused by some software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:13 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:30 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Hi Sally,

I have the same issue. When my users use excel 2010 on Windows Server by doing a remote destop terminal secession and open an excel 2003 files and then work on it will crash on any of action such as sort, print, save or editing.

I will try your advise of runing that in safe mode and see how it goes.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Hi Sally,

I have the same problem. Save the 2003 files in 2010 Excel and Excel shuts down. No file saved.

John

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:44 PM