none
After recent Microsoft updates some word files will not open. Error says that this program is unable to run due to missing or corrupted files. Also the icons turned an orange color.

Question

• After recent Microsoft updates some word files will not open. Error says that this program is unable to run due to missing or corrupted files. Also the icons turned an orange color.
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You can try uninstalling and installing Word again ou you can try using a restore point. Maybe this happened because something gone wrong with the installation of the updates.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:16 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I used the Microsoft Word Starter 2010 before but now it automatically goes to telling me to install Microsoft Word because the files are orange and .DOCX. I still have the Word Starter 2010 on my computer but Word is newly installed so I'm thinking about trying to uninstall the new update and go back to what it was. For now, while I decide, I did go to the Start Menu and open Word Starter 2010 that way and can access my files.
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Same thing happened to me this morning after windows updated last night.  I repaired Office 2010 (through Control Panel, Programs & Features, select MS Office Professional 2010, click 'Change' at the top, then select Repair) -- and this fixed my issues with .pptx files (Office was asking for the product key if I clicked on the icon). Unfortunately, I still had orange icons for all my .xlsx files and was getting this error message when I clicked to open (.xls were fine, as were .doc, .docx, etc.).  Turned out it was as easy as changing the file association Windows was using to open the program -- right-click on the icon, choose 'Open with -> Choose Default Program', and select MS Excel.  

Hope this helps!

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:03 PM
  • I had this same issue this morning on one of the machines I support. When I went to Programs in Control Panel, I saw 2 installations of MS Office 2010. One was Pro which I installed originally and the other was just Microsoft Office 2010 which showed an install date of yesterday 9/11....hmmmmm

So I just uninstalled the latter and right-clicked on the orange icons and clicked "open with". I re-associated with the appropriated apps, ie. Word, Excel etc. They all now seem to open correctly. 

Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Same here... All icons were yellow on Excel and MS Word.  I simply right clicked an orange icon, and clicked on "Open with" and it gave me the option to select a default program, of which I selected the appropriate Excel or MS Word program.  It immediately fixed all the icons and allowed them to open normally.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Thank you, Thank you

I uninstalled the extra Microsoft Office that was installed 9/11 (the day of the update) then followed the rest of your instructions and IT WORKED.  Much appreciated

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Same issue.  Removed the extra Office 2010 installation.  Now all my files open properly (did not have to do Open With step).
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 3:18 PM
  • That fixed it. Thanks!
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:09 PM
  • So what exactly was the problem?  Was this a Microsoft Office update bug?
    Monday, September 23, 2013 3:57 AM