none
This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer

Question

• I'm using Office 2013 RTM. I cannot preview any word or execl attached documents in Outlook. Every time I click the attachment I receive the following error:

Yes, I can double click the attachment to open it; but this is too annoying and inconvient!!

There was Office 2010 co-existed before, but I removed it long time ago. And I've tried reinstalling Office 2013 with no luck. The issue persists. Any workaround?
    Yes, I can double click the attachment to open it; but this is too annoying and inconvient
    • Edited by MS_OLC Tuesday, April 09, 2013 5:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems to be caused by some corrupted registry keys. The following is a similar .pdf preview case in Outlook:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/cannot-open-preview-of-pdf-attachment-in-outlook/a68e5aa4-f730-4b5d-b1ca-b8670d679240

Except the Office 2010, did you install any other Office edition such as Office Trail, Starter or Preview on your computer?

Make sure you have all the components of previous Office version uninstalled. Then please reinstall the Office 2013 RTM with local admin account.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:33 AM
  • I tried all solutions in that thread to no avail. And that's for pdf preview issue, my issue is that word and excel docs cannot be previewed.

No, there is no any other Office exists in the system, I can confirm you with that. And FYI, I'm using Windows 8 Ent. x64

• Edited by MS_OLC Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:24 AM
  • It's been a week. Any update?
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Bump.

We have the same issue. Specifically on my machine - Office 2013. Windows 8 Pro x64.

Does this with Word, Excel and PowerPoint attachments.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:07 PM
  • I have a clean install Windows 8 x64 Enterprise, Office Pro Plus 2013. I was receiving the same error

However I had also Installed Adobe Creative suite as part of the build, which includes Adobe Acrobat Pro, but had not opened or used it at that time. I opened Adobe, accepted the agreement and registered, once I had completed this all pdf attachments were then viewable within Outlook messages.

If you have Adobe reader, or Acrobat installed try opening and accepting the agreements if not already done. If you have not installed them, install your preferred pdf reader and accept it's terms, then try re-opening the message and previewing the attachment.

This worked for me and fixed all the errors I had with the pdf attachments.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:39 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue for Office attachments (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Other attachments such as html and pdf work fine.

However, I cannot open the attachments by double-clicking them either. I must save to disk, right-click the saved file, select Properties, click Unblock before opening the file.

If I open the Options->Trust center->Trust center settings->Protected view in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Disable the Protected View, then I can open the respective application's attachments in Outlook by double-clicking, but the preview mode is disabled in any case.

The installation is a new installation of Office 2013 in Win 8/64 on a new PC. There is no previous Office installed. Other Microsoft products are installed such as Visual Studio 2010 and 2012.

This issue obviously only happens on some PC's since other colleagues with similar PC setup do not have this issue.

This issue has been reported for months now. Any solution coming up soon?

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:24 AM