none
dbase file import

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have some 214 dbase files. I want to bring them into access and from there to mysql to do some transformations. I have run into an unusual problem. For some unknow reason access is ignoring certain columns in the import. The columns ignored are of length 99 in the dbase files and they open and import fine in open office base but for some reason access both 2003 and 2007 completely ignores 3 out of 65 columns. I was wondering if anyone had any idea or suggestions regarding this. The field name is not greater than 255 chars and other columns of the same length and type are importing successfully. I will have to do them one at a time directly to mysql otherwise. Anyway any help or ideas on why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Barry.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hello Barry,

It seems that you have already hit upon some of the common items.

- The issue doesn't affect all columns that are of length 99

- The issue isn't related to an invalid column name

My next thoughts would be.

- Invalid data in the column (to test this, you could make a copy of your file and then delete all but one row and see if you still have the problem).

- Corruption of the dbf file.

The import/export wizards in Access are powerful, but they really aren't intended to be used to push your data from one type to another. If your goal is to bring the data into mysql, why are you not just importing the data to mysql in the first place?

Best Regards,

Nathan Ost

Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:33 PM