none
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 (HUP) Can't Install

Question

• When I double click the install file I only get this error:

Couldn't Install

We're sorry, we can't continue because we weren't able to download a required file. Please make sure you're connected to the internet or connect to a different network, then try again.

I'm running Windows 8 without any third party firewalls. I tried disabling Windows Firewall and trying the install again, but I'm not having any luck. I also checked Event Viewer for some sort of helpful error, but I got nothing. This happens on my PC and my wife's PC.

-Reece

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• having the same problems myself also... any help would be much appreciated

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Iris_Cao Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:40 PM
  • I'm getting the same error on my desktop. I was able to install on my laptop with no problems. I even tried connecting to the net via a LAN cable rather than wireless and no cigar. I've disabled the firewall and even tried executing as Administrator and nothing. I'm installing on a clean Windows 8 install that I just built a week ago. I had Office 2010 on here but uninstalled earlier in preparation for 2013. I'm not turning anything up on the internet and this is more than a little frustrating. Some help would indeed be appreciated.

Also, for what it's worth, I just tried installing Visio 2013 and got the same error.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:24 AM
  • I get the same error.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Same error. Windows 7 64-bit. Just got off the phone with support. They know about it and are working on a fix.
    • Edited by Aphyx Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:07 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:01 AM
  • Same here. Awesome.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Same here...

How are we supposed to know when the fix has been done?

Is it in their servers or is it our .exe we download?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Same Issue with me also... hope they get an answer soon...
    • Proposed as answer by jr1234 Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:15 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:28 AM
  • I get the same error.  I'm on a new laptop, Windows 8.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:31 AM
  • I am having the same issue as well. Please post if you have the answer to this! Thank you!
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Could not install.

I am able to dowload the initial file which then downloads a Setup.x86.exe file which then fails to download

We're sorry, we can't continue because we weren't able to download a required file. Please make sure you're connected to the internet or connect to a different network, then try again.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Also been getting the same error message for a while now. No luck.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:42 AM
  • It's killing me.. I think I've tried about 30 different options
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Same error on Windows 7 64-bit with 64-bit Office 2013 installer. No software firewalls and virus scanner disabled for testing. Should note, the site for HUP has been giving me tons of issues, such as Order History not working. I had to call in to get a download link for the 64-bit version because of it. Earlier I also got 500 errors from the site, so I am wondering if this is due to an issue with the HUP site.
    • Edited by JeremyF Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by jr1234 Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:17 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:08 AM
  • Not sure if this is the best or right fix, but it's a work around for the time being.

1. Went to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj192782.aspx to download the evaluation version
    2. Filled out the forms
    3. Installed the .exe file
    4. Continued with the install
    5. After it finalized, I opened Word, Selected "Account," and a pop-up came up to ask for Activation. Instead of the evaluation code, I put my real code.

6. Now, when I select "Account," it says "Product Activated."

For now, it's working? Not sure if I will come across issues, but at least I can use it right now. 

Only issue: Publisher keeps crashing, but everything else is just fine and shows "Product Activated." It also has (Non-Commercial Use) at the top of Word, etc.
    • Proposed as answer by Jsscch Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:31 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:30 AM
  • I was having this same issue. I believe I have found a fix for it.

You have to go in to your computer, into Program Files, then go down till you find the file labeled "Microsoft Office 15" and delete that file.

Then go into you registry (startmenu, Run, "regedit") go into "hkey-current_user" go down to software, microsoft, and delete the "office" registry key.

Now try and run the install file again.

• Proposed as answer by Joseph.Vaughan Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:05 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:00 AM
  • im having this issue as well and i tried what you just told me and i get an error message from windows saying that it cannot find "C:/program files/microsoft office 15/client64x/integrated office.exe" the the office installer gave me a similar message to before but it still wouldnt work. please help me
    • Edited by bgr9698 Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by sweetnytmare07 Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:06 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:35 AM
  • The issue has been resolved by Microsoft. Please try to download the office 2013 again
    • Proposed as answer by sweetnytmare07 Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:09 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:07 AM
  • just did. still didnt work...
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:11 AM
  • Please try it again. or refresh your browser, clear cookies and caches
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:52 AM
  • same issue.

refreshed browser and clear cookies and cache and still got the same error.

it cannot find "C:/program files/microsoft office 15/client86/integrated office.exe"

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:03 PM
  • yea im still getting that too.

someone help please ):
    • Edited by bgr9698 Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:11 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Me too.  You'd think that a company that lives on software would have this doped out in minutes.  Macs in the future for me.  This isn't very confidence inspiring.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Still experiencing same issue. Fresh install of Windows 8. It installed perfectly on my desktop. It just isn't working on the laptop.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:21 PM
  • had the same issue.. 

fixed it and was able to install following these steps

You have to go in to your computer, into Program Files, then go down till you find the file labeled "Microsoft Office 15" and delete that folder.

Then go into you registry (startmenu, Run, "regedit") go into "HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office and find and delete 15.0

then got to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Office and find and delete 15.0.

Now try and run the install file again.

• Proposed as answer by Dafishe Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:33 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:33 PM
  • thanks dafishe....I followed your recommendation and it worked for me...I was having the same issue everyone else was having...
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:49 PM
  • tried your method,

missed one step,deleted everything like you said. it works

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:05 PM
  • There is a KB on this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809219

The Fix-It in this article is being updated today to handle this issue. Until the Fix-it is updated, try deleting the reg keys mentioned in the "More Information" section. The problem is that you have a partially uninstalled Preview edition on the machine.

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Thank you so much! This is the only thing I have found that works after looking lots of places..

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:41 AM
  • its 3rd time I am trying to install Office HUP and ................. NOTHING ...

1st time:
    1- installed office OK
    2- installed visio OK
    3- sorry we have problems installing PROJECT
    went to forums and ran online repair.. It just uninstalled everything without asking ...

2nd time:
    1- installed office OK
    2- installed PROJECT OK
    3- Windows cannot find c:\program files\microsoft office 15\clientx64\integratedoffice.exe ..
    AGAIN.. deinstalled everything...

3rd time:
    1- installed visio OK
    2- instelle project OK
    3- during the install of office hup it just uninstalled everythig AGAIN ...............

I PAID FOR IT... lol..

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Is there an way to download office 2013 for standalone install ? without internet ? I bought OFFICE 13 + VISIO + PROJECT.. and I just received 1 email with URLs to download a installer.. I want to download full software
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Dear all,

Does somebody have a solution for this already? I am facing the same problem and do not know how to solve it.

Many thanks.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:20 PM
  • I've got the same problem. Can't uninstall from control panel, can't run from Start Menu and can't run the One-Click installer again..

I opened a ticket with Msoft support and they gave me this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

I haven't tried it yet, but will once I get home from work. Maybe it'll help you guys as well!

PS- This One-Click installer has really caused me (as an IT admin) to lose A LOT of respect for Microsoft. Where's the option to choose the install directory? How can I customize which programs are installed? Seems like they're going the Apple route by taking away customization and making it "easy".

Well guess what, when "easy" doesn't even work right, you know you've got some serious issues Microsoft! Better get your act together soon and stop giving your loyal customers the short end of the stick!

• Edited by xmvince Wednesday, May 01, 2013 3:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff Mulholland Monday, June 10, 2013 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

I followed the steps mentioned in this and it worked fine for me.

Thanks for posting this solution.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:56 PM
  • I've got the same problem,

I ordered my Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013-64bit through the Home User Program. It gave me a dinky little executable program (800,768 bytes = 782 KB). Double click on that little program to initiate the download & installation.

"Couldn't install

We're sorry, we had a problem installing your Office program(s).

Is your internet connection working? Do you have enough free space on your main hard drive?

Please try installing again after you've checked the above."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I checked my internet connection. No problem there.
    Then I checked my hard drive for how much space it had, and how much was required for the installation process. However in the FAQ at the Home User Program web page where I downloaded the installation program, the only system requirements that it tells about is;

"You’ll need Windows 7, Windows 8 OS, or Mac OS X version 10.6 or later to successfully run Office on your PC or Mac."
    No mention of how much hard drive space is required at all. So I head over to the link for customer support. The only support available is telephone support. The number is 877-248-1220 for in Canada.
    I call that number and after taking down all my information, the figure out that it's the wrong department. So please hold and we'll transfer you. Get to the next person, and they take down all of my information again. I spend 56 minutes on the phone with this person.

The two things that I got from them of any use is;

1. Go into your web browser and clear all the cache files, temp files, history or cookies.

2. Go into the msconfig settings (Windows key+R > msconfig > enter) and in the Startup tab, disable all items. Hit Ok and do not restart. Go back into the msconfig settings into the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft services" button then disable all items. Hit Ok and then restart.

Tried running the same little program again, and get the exact same error message.
    I would try first part of Joseph.Vaughan's suggestion about going into the Program Files to a file labeled "Microsoft Office 15" but it doesn't exist on my computer.

I went into the registry and deleted the;

Hkey-Current_User\Microsoft\Office

registry key.

Tried to install it again, and got the same error message.
    Tried Dafishe's suggestion

Went into Program Files [and Program Files (x86)], but there is no Microsoft folders anywhere.

Went into the registry again;

The "Hkey-Current_User\Microsoft\Office" is still deleted.

Deleted the "Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Office" key.

Tried to install it again, and still get the same error message.
    Took a look at the suggestion from Mike Maxey, but it's the same as Dafishe's.
    Took a look at the suggestion from xmvince.

Step 1 - The directory didn't exist on my PC.
    Step 2 - None of the tasks exist on my PC.
    Step 3 - None of the programs were running on my PC.
    Step 4 - Doesn't exist on my PC.
    Step 5 - The folder doesn't exist on my PC.
    Step 6 - There were two extra registry keys mentioned, but both aren't on my machine.
    Step 7 - There are no Start Menu items on my computer for Microsoft Office.
    Step 8 - Tried uninstalling the Habanero components, but it just told me that they weren't installed.

So after trying everything worth trying, I'm still not able to install the program. This is just a waste of my time. I went back to the Home User Program site and ordered the DVD media. Will take 4-6 weeks to get here.

Friday, February 07, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Leave it to Microsoft to make customers jump through hoops to access the overpriced software we've ALREADY PAID FOR.  This is unacceptable.  Clearly Microsoft is not concerned with customer satisfaction.  What a joke
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:18 PM