how to share lists between parent site and subsites ?

Question

• Hi,

In Sharepoint 2007, i have created a parent site and under that i have created sub sites.I have created a list in parent site which need to be shared with the subsite.Is there any way of doing that?????????

If i want to share the list between two subsites whether it is possible????How????

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• By "sharing" do you mean displaying a list from another site as a web part? If so, this may help: http://pathtosharepoint.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/a-simple-method-to-display-a-list-in-another-site/ 
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:00 PM
  • WSS or MOSS?

If you are using MOSS you can use the Content Query Web Part to provide links from one page to documents in another. (only displays Title unless you customize the XML, but can also roll up all libraries in a site into a single list)

WSS:

You can use SharePoint Designer to create a Data View web part to retrieve a list or to retrieve and merge multiple lists. (you can display any combination of columns)

You can clone the library's web part and reuse it in another site in the same site collection:
    http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2009/03/sharepoint-one-library-multiple-sites.html

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Hi Mike

Can we Edit that webpart or Just View?

I have WSS and I can view list that belongs to another site but I can not modify it , even I have given contribute permission for that list. Any idea?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:22 PM
  • > Can we Edit that webpart or Just View?

Edit which web part? The final Data View web part as edited in SharePoint Designer or the one in the other web site? You can edit the Data View web part from SharePoint Designer, and I think you have an Edit XML button (or something similar) in the web part's properties when editing it in a web browser.

>  I can view list that belongs to another site but I can not modify it

You create a Data View web part in Site "A" using SharePoint Designer and configure it to retreive content from a list in Site "B". So all of the editing occurs in Site "A".

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hi Mike

as per your rpely above  """"You create a Data View web part in Site "A" using SharePoint Designer and configure it to retreive content from a list in Site "B". So all of the editing occurs in Site "A". """""

I want Editing in SIte-A as well as in Site B also , is it possoble?

Thats why I am sharing a list between two sites. Where subsite or other site has only that list editing permission.

Jatin.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hi

with Data View Webpart you can only show as READ only content from another list.  So that is not a good solution if you want to modify a List that is also modifiable from another site.

So I have used Page View Webpart and have formatted it nicely so it does not look at all as embeded page.

so answer is USE - > PAGE VIEW WEBPART.

• Proposed as answer by Jay033 Monday, May 10, 2010 2:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 18, 2011 7:02 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:30 PM
  • with Data View Webpart you can only show as READ only content from another list.  So that is not a good solution if you want to modify a List that is also modifiable from another site.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Hi

All the solutions which I came across seemed very complex and cumbersome.  I then stumbled on the solution by pure luck.  Not sure how complex your requirements are but all I wanted to do was make use of lists which I had created in the main site, at sub-sites eg. Customer List, Branch Code, Sales Rep lists etc.

Here's the solution.

1. Go to your main site
    2. Site Actions --> Site Settings
    3. Galleries --> Site Columns
    4. Create  --> Create your lookup (very similar to creating a new column when setting up a Custom List)
    5. Under Group, I'd suggest creating a Custom group specific to your company just so that you know where to find your newly created Site Column
    6. Once you've created that, then go to your sub-site
    7. Go to your Custom List  --> List Settings
    8. Now here's the trick... you click on "Add From Existing Site Columns"
    9. Select your Custom Group which you created and in there you'll find your Site Column which you can insert into your Custom List

I really hope this helps someone 'cause I spent days trying to find a solution to this simple issue :)

Cheers,
    Allan

PS.  Usual disclaimers apply...
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:23 PM