none
PowerPoint 2003 hanging after KB2464588, reinstalling Office does NOT help

Question

• After KB2464588, many computers started displaying the error message described here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/bgp/archive/2011/04/14/new-security-update-ms11-022.aspx

We mass uninstalled KB2464588 via WSUS, but in many computers the PowerPoint is still hanging/freezing. Sometimes just opening and clicking any object or the menus causes the hang. The window stops responding and Powerpnt.exe start consuming some CPU. Then it needs to be killed with task manager.

THINGS WE HAVE TRIED:

1. Deleting all images of the master slide does not work. This is impossible because it freezes before we can accomplish this task.

2. Disabling spelling check does not work

3. Clean Office installation without KB2464588 does NOT work. Opening the same files results in the hangs.

4. Debug symbols for Office products are not publicly available. Debugging powerpnt.exe is inconclusive.

Any other suggestion?

Leonardo Fagundes - Support Engineer http://leonardomsft.spaces.live.com/
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This article talks about that problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2464588

It seems like the only viable option is to uninstall the update KB2464588 and wait for it to be fixed ( or in the next update?).

Sincerely

Harry

Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Are you sure that the WSUS removal approval actually uninstalled the hotfix?  Takes awhile for all the computers to report in.  I did this but I'm still getting users moaning at me because it hasn't uninstalled yet.  Manual uninstallation is working for us.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:23 PM
  • We do the following to speed up the procees on unhappy users via psexec:

%windir%\System32\msiexec.exe /package {office GUID} /uninstall {AB0D3DA9-FC93-4F57-ADE2-B6669749B25E} /QN /L*V c:\Remove_KB2464588_2.log

IT
    Friday, April 22, 2011 7:05 AM
  • 1. We mass uninstalled KB2464588. Period. It doesn't solve the hanging problem.

2. Of course I'm aware of KB2464588. The things we tried came from there.

3. The patch has put the ppt files in a state where even a clean installation of Office 2003 starts hanging/freezing. Creating new ppt files and pasting the content is impractical. We're talking 1.3 TB of content.

4. Aaron Rykhus mentions some workarounds in this post, but he doesn't address the hanging problem: http://blogs.technet.com/b/bgp/archive/2011/04/14/new-security-update-ms11-022.aspx

Any other suggestion?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:52 PM
  • We now have a hot fix is available for the PowerPoint 2003 issue after installing 2464588. If you had previously removed the security update MS11-022, you do not need to reinstall it. The hot fix is cumulative so just install the hot fix and you should be secure.

• This information has been updated on the Office Sustained Engineering Blog:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2011/04/23/issues-after-installing-powerpoint-2003-update-kb2464588.aspx

• Article:  KB2543241 : Description of the PowerPoint 2003 hotfix package
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2543241

• Download the hotfix
    http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2543241&kbln=en-us

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks! Adrian Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by LeonardoFagundes Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:29 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:23 PM
  • I 've tried the fix. The "hanging problem" is still there.. When do Microsoft make a solution who works ?

Bent Norman Lund
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hello Bent,

If you have saved the file prior to the hotfix and while the security update was applied (that originally caused the issue), then the file will remain in this state even after the hotfix is applied.  Some of the workarounds mentioned for this before the hotfix was released was to save the file as a different name and not save the original file due to this issue.

Please test other files that were not saved in that period of time to confirm this.

For files that were saved post security update, but before the hotfix, a way I found to make these usable again is to round trip them through PowerPoint 2007 or PowerPoint 2010.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks! Adrian Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:39 PM
  • If you are still having the problem with PowerPoint not responding/crashing after applying the hotfix then turn off "Check Spelling as you type" in Powerpoint.  That has fixed it for a number of users at my company.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Adrian, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Howerver, this thread was created specifically to address the HANG/FREEZING in PowerPoint 2003 when opening files that were saved post the security update.

One thing is certain: Hotfix KB2543241 does not solve the problem. The hang still occurs.

QUESTION:

Has anyone tried any of these free tools from internet that claim to fix corrupt Office files? Again, we don't have licenses of PowerPoint 2007/2010 to use the "save as" trick.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:57 PM
  • I have the same problem. My PowerPoint 2003 file opens ok. However, on the first edit or if I click on Tools/Spelling (toolbar) the file freezes. The Hotfix KB2543241 does not solve this problem. This issue has only started in the last week.

Need help.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:00 PM
  • For any file that was saved after the installation of KB2464588 and before we rolled the update back in WSUS, we have exactly the same issue. It only presents on systems that do not have the patch installed editing with files that were saved by a system with the patch installed. After 2-3 edits PowerPoint 2003 completely locks up and has to be forcibly closed.

It may not be a solution for everyone, but we have had success resolving this on an individual file basis.

If the file is opened in PowerPoint 2010, and then saved (using PPT 2010), it resolves the issue. The file can then be opened and edited using PowerPoint 2003 with no issues. Since we only had the patch deployed for a short amount of time, we’ve been able to repair individual PowerPoint documents for users as they are reported.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:02 PM
  • There is another option for those that do not have Office 2007 or 2010 available.  Please note this is on a per-presentation basis so each one that was saved with the security update and prior to hotfix installation are the only ones affected.

i. Launch PowerPoint 2003 and create a new blank presentation.

ii. Click the Insert menu and then click Slides From Files.

iii. In the Slide Finder window, click Browse, locate and select the affected presentation and then click Open.

iv. In the Slide Finder window, make sure Keep Source Formatting option is checked and then click Insert All.

v. Click Close to close the Slide Finder window.

vi. Save the presentation with a different name and use this new presentation for further editing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Adrian, that worked! Thanks for your help.

Scott

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:31 AM

• If you are still having the problem with PowerPoint not responding/crashing after applying the hotfix then turn off "Check Spelling as you type" in Powerpoint.  That has fixed it for a number of users at my company.

The problem with this solution is that it only masks the problem. Sure, 'realtime' spell check is disabled, but pressing F7 or selecting spell-check from the menu still causes the powerpoint application to lock up. I've recreated this problem on both a Windows XP and Windows 7 (64bit) box. My users are at the point of just not using powerpoint.

Simply not running a spell check really isn't a solution here.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 8:37 PM
  • This problem has been making a lot of trouble for many users. It is a shame that Microsoft are sending out updates who makes this problem in the first place. It is workarounds and hotfix who can help, but it generates a lot of unnecessary work for a lot of people . My question is to Microsoft : "When will you come with a "real" solution from WSUS", who works ?  Not all of us want's to buy Office 2010, so don't ignore us who still uses 2003.

Bent Norman Lund
    Friday, May 06, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hy Guys,

I've the same problem, and was fixed with this hotfix "MS11-036: Description of the security update for PowerPoint 2003: May 10, 2011"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535812

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:54 PM
  • Adrian,

Thank you.  This worked.  I do not have Office 2007 or 2010 and was stuck.  I did uninstall the security update and then followed your outlined procedure above.  So far I have been able to edit my PPT file with no hanging. 

Well...I spoke a bit too soon.  When I open up the task pane and click on "clip art" PowerPoint freezes and I have to "end task" in the task manager window. 
    I re-applied the "hotfix" and it did not fix the problem of PPT hanging/freezing when I open task pane - clip art.  The hourglass icon never disappears.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:35 PM