none
Outlook Wont let go of PST

Question

• Win 7, Office 2007 (part of Office Enterprise 2007). Configured for POP mail, not exchange.  I opened three pst files that reside on a removable USB drive. I closed Outlook before removing them and then turned off the external drice. Kater when opening Outlook, I received error messages that it could not open the pst files. This was expected, but then I could not remove the entries using tools/account settings/data files/remove. The action produces an error that the requested operation failed. I completely de-installed all the office products, re-booted, re-installed and all my settings came back including the bad pst mapping. I can't seem to get rid of them. I'm not sure where Outlook stores the pst mapping so I can't delete or rename the file that contains the settings. Any thoughts on how to get rid of these persistent mappings? I did try to place the external drive back on line and Outlook sees the files and works with them normally. Even then I cant remove them. Thoughts? 
    • Edited by Breezybob Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:43 AM

Answers

• Is the personal folder set to be a default store? If yes, you will have to change the default to another file, restart, and then remove it.

If not, try this:
    Launch Outlook.exe with /cleanprofile switch mode
    If the pst file is not gone, please create a new outlook profile follow the article below to check the result:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918
    Any questions, feel free to post back.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Breezybob Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:38 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:22 AM

All replies

• Is the personal folder set to be a default store? If yes, you will have to change the default to another file, restart, and then remove it.

If not, try this:
    Launch Outlook.exe with /cleanprofile switch mode
    If the pst file is not gone, please create a new outlook profile follow the article below to check the result:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918
    Any questions, feel free to post back.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Breezybob Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:38 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Thank for your help. The default pst is called Outlook and resides in My Documents folder. I do not want to remove this file. The other three pst files that map persistently are on my external USD disk. These are the three I want to remove, but can't.

I tried launching Outlook with the /cleanprofile switch. This produces an error indicating that Outlook cannot find any profiles. Using Control Panel/Mail, I can see the default profile named Outlook. I deleted it. I created a new profile called Robert. I re-mapped my default pst file in My Documents. When I launch Outlook now it is all back to normal.  Thank you! 

Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:55 AM