none
excel 2010 32-bit cannot complete this task with available resources. choose less data or close other applications

Question

• I have a 200,000-row (9 MB) spreadsheet which, when I try to sort on one column in excel 2010 hangs excel and says 'excel cannot complete this task with available resources. choose less data or close other applications'. I am running 64-bit windows 7 but excel 2010 is 32-bit. I was all set to go to 64-bit excel 2010 but it seems that not all add-ins (which ones?) work with it. Excel 2007 (32-bit) running on an xp machine (with less memory) has no problem sorting this file.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are some suggestions:

1. Just to check whether you have installed the KB2597166, if you have, uninstalled it and check the issue.

2. Sometimes the preview pane in Windows Explorer may cause this message, particularly if you have just attached an Excel sheet in Outlook or opened the file directly from Windows Explorer. If you turn off the preview pane, it stops these messages.

3. Uninstalled Windows Live Essentials and Microsoft Outlook Social Connector for Live Messenger

Just try method 1 first, if it is not helpful, then try 2, then 3.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JH_MV Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:10 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Jh,

What happens if you copy the data and paste-special-values it to a fresh workbook, can you sort it there?

Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse|Excel MVP|http://www.jkp-ads.com
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Here are some suggestions:

1. Just to check whether you have installed the KB2597166, if you have, uninstalled it and check the issue.

2. Sometimes the preview pane in Windows Explorer may cause this message, particularly if you have just attached an Excel sheet in Outlook or opened the file directly from Windows Explorer. If you turn off the preview pane, it stops these messages.

3. Uninstalled Windows Live Essentials and Microsoft Outlook Social Connector for Live Messenger

Just try method 1 first, if it is not helpful, then try 2, then 3.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JH_MV Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:10 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:02 AM
  • #1 did the job. On the 20th I uninstalled all of the office updates of 6/19 and that fixed a problem where it was complaining about a file being corrupted (or the like). I noticed just after that the updates of 6/20 arrived. It looks like the problem with resources was copied from updates of 6/19 to those of 6/20. Thanks very much.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:15 PM