none
Outlook 2010 crashes and automatically restarts

Question

• We have 4 new Dell computers, 3 with Windows 7-32bit and one with Win 7-64bit. Three of them are running Office 2010 Home and School and one is running Office 2010 Professional. However, on all of the machine when we click on various emails Outlook will shut down and automatically restart.  It's happened with various different emails so it's hard to pinpoint the problem. For example, I'm running the Professional version and I will get an email from a co-worker and each time Outlook shuts down on his emails, however, if he sends an email to a different Office 2010 user, they can open his emails without a problem. And vice versa, I can open some emails that other Office 2010 users can not. We have Exchange Server 2003.  Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this and how to fix? 
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that you have 4 new Dell computers, three with Windows 7 32 bit and one with Windows 7 64 bit. Three of them are running Office 2010 Home and school and one is running Office 2010 Professional. We encountered an issue that all of the machine when we click on various emails Outlook will shut down and automatically restart. If I have misunderstood your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know. We will work together to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case.

Regarding this issue, I suggest let’s test this issue in Outlook Safe Mode.

Please try to start the Office program in safe mode

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

Disable add-ins

====================

1. Click File menu, click Options > Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.

2. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.

3. Close the Office program and restart it.

4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

If the issue still persists, I suggest let’s create a new profile to test this issue.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile:

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

3. Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4. Click Add.

5. Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6. Highlight the profile, and choose Properties. Then Email Accounts.., add your email account in the profile.

7. Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If the issue still persists, please collect more information.

In the Event Viewer you can often find out more information about why Outlook crashed. The Event Viewer is a general location in Windows itself where applications and Windows can write status events when for instance a service is started/stopped, an application is launched or closed, if a backup was successful, who logged on to the system, etc… It also contains events for when an application unexpectedly stopped or crashed.

Open Event Viewer

There are quite a few number of ways to open it. Some of them are;

Start-> Run; eventvwr

Start-> Control Panel (classic mode)-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer

Start-> Control Panel (Windows XP)-> Performance and Maintenance-> Event Viewer

Start-> Control Panel (Windows Vista)-> System and Security-> Event Viewer

Start-> Control Panel (Windows 7)-> System and Maintenance-> Event Viewer

Right click on (My) Computer is the Start Menu or in Explorer and choose Manage.

Expand System Tools to see Event Viewer.

C:\Windows\System32\eventvwr.msc

In Windows Vista and Windows 7;

Start-> type; Event Viewer

Hope it does help.

Best Regards,

Nick Wan

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:25 AM