none
Excel 2010 - Problem with files created in older versions

Question

• We are facing with problems while opening excel files that were created in older versions - like 2003. These files are opening and working fine if we open with Excel 2007. But with 2010 we are having the behavior bellow:

1) For some "xls" files the error is that Excel “finds an error and needs to be closed”, and tries to send a report to Microsoft. Event 1000 in Event Viewer. It happens in any computer. If we uninstall 2010 and install 2007 it works fine. Same converting the file to .xlsm.

2) In other case we have a file containing a macro that generates a txt file. The date is being generating in wrong format different from the one in the excel sheet. Note that this is not happening if we use 2003 or 2007 version.

In both cases we have macros in the file.

I have already tried the following:

run regsvr32 msxml6.dll

Open Excel 2010.

Click on File > Options.

Select Trust Center > Trust center settings.

Select Protected view.
    Uncheck all the options under Protected View > OK.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you have mentioned that both the files contains macros, I would suggest saving as a file to .xlsx type (i.e. Non-macro workbook).
    If the issue cannot be reproduced by this, the next step we could try transferring the module and code one by one to determine which could be the cause of Excel crashing. Then you can post the code on  Excel for Developers Forum below for debugging:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exceldev/threads

If the issue still persists with the .xlsx files, please check if the latest updates have been patched on your clients.
    Have you tested the files on multiple clients?
    Which version of Office 2010 do you install, 32bit or 64bit?
    How about trying the Office Migration Planning Manager to scan the files:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179179.aspx

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:22 AM
  • It is 32 Bits.

After sometime configuring OMPM... I got the following result for one of the files:

"File Type Not Supported by OMPM Deep Scanner."

Saving the file as .xlsx didn't solve the problem.

Valéria.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:25 PM