none
Can't open Word 2010 File because there are problems with the contents

Question

• We have a template that we use at our law firm to create letters.  The template was created from scratch using Word 2010.  90% of the time we have no problems, but every now and then once someone creates a new letter and saves it, the next time they try to open it an error occurs:  The file such-n-such.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.  Displaying error details shows "Unspecified error Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line: 2, Column: 0"

• When the problem occurs, it is always with documents created from the same template.
    • The template is accessed for a workgroup templates folder over the network

We are able to recover the contents with no problem, but I would like to try and fix the problem so it doesn't occur in the first place.

I've posted one of the documents that recently resulted in the error here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1cf04c3b06ceacbe&resid=1CF04C3B06CEACBE!116&parid=root.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeri

• Edited by josires Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jeri,

Now that you have pointed out that the problem only occur when create documents from certain template, I'd suggest to use a new template with the same content instead.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:41 AM
  • The Content Control containing "5701 Strand Avenue" and "Anytown, Iowa 12345" has the two lines as separate paragraphs, rather than separated by a line break.

In normal circumstances pressing Return inside the Content Control generates a line break and not a paragraph break so I don't know how you have created this document.

That said, I can see nothing in the standard that disallows it, although there is a somewhat oblique reference in Microsoft's conformance statements that could be construed as saying Word will refuse to open such a file.

I will try to find out some more information, and report back if I am successful.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Hi Jeri,

Just checking in to see how is everything going on?

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Max ~

I was hoping to avoid recreating the template since it is only causing problems for a couple of users, but since I'm not getting any responses, it looks as though that is my next option.  I'll work on that this week and mark your post as my answer if the problem is fixed.

But I'm still open to other ideas!

Thanks,

Jeri

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:47 PM
  • But I'm still open to other ideas!

But not mine, apparently :-(

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Sorry Tony,

I'm open to all solutions! But honestly the paragraph break was generated in my attempt to remove sensitive information from the document.  Normally, these documents do have line breaks and not paragraph breaks in the address content control.

Sorry I didn't clarify that!

Jeri

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi Jeri,

How do you know when it was generated? As I said, I couldn't generate one at all, and Word - in theory - changes them to line breaks.

What, exactly, did you do to the document before you put it on SkyDrive?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Great Question, Tony.

I converted the file to a .zip file, searched for "text" that I knew was in the original and replaced it with generic text.  Perhaps I should take a look at the original and see if there is a line break or paragraph break in that content control. 

Sometimes things that you just wouldn't think would cause problems...

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:14 PM
  • So you just changed text that you recognised?

This is the actual relevant text in the document.xml file within the zip archive:

<w:sdtContent>

<w:p w:rsidR="00677EE1" w:rsidRDefault="00677EE1" w:rsidP="00677EE1">

<w:pPr>

<w:pStyle w:val="AddresseeInfo"/>

</w:pPr>

<w:r>

<w:t>5701 Strand Avenue</w:t>

</w:r>

</w:p>

<w:p w:rsidR="00D63268" w:rsidRDefault="00677EE1" w:rsidP="00677EE1">

<w:pPr>

<w:pStyle w:val="AddresseeInfo"/>

</w:pPr>

<w:r>

<w:t>Anytown, Iowa 12345</w:t>

</w:r>

</w:p>

</w:sdtContent>

Did you add the extra <w:p> tags and associated XML, and remove some other XML? If not, then you did not introduce the error and the broken structure is what was in the file before you sanitised it.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Tony ~

Boy, is my face red!!!  I actually didn't add the extra <w:p> tags.  Following your advice, I took a document that was giving me the error and let Word recover the information.  Then I compared the xml in both files (the one that Word recovered and the original).  The extra <w:p> tags are not in the version that Word recovered.  I then created a new document from the template, saved it and opened it - no error.  Compared the document.xml and the <w:p> tags are not in that version either.

So, it appears that the paragraph breaks could be causing the problem.  Any idea how/why the paragraph break could be appearing in the content control?  What could the users be doing to cause Word to convert a line break to a paragraph break? 

(I guess that's what I get for dismissing your solution so quickly!!! Lesson learned.)

Jeri

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:31 PM
  • So, it appears that the paragraph breaks could be causing the problem.  Any idea how/why the paragraph break could be appearing in the content control?  What could the users be doing to cause Word to convert a line break to a paragraph break? 

Unfortunately, no. It shouldn't be possible, so they must be doing something unusual. What is the source of the data - is it typed or cut and pasted? Could they be getting into Design Mode accidentally (not that it ought to be possible even there)?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Cutting & pasting the address is certainly a possibility.  But shouldn't Word still convert paragraph breaks to line breaks?  I just tested it and it did for me.

It is unlikely they are getting into Design Mode, but like you say, it should be possible there either.  At least we seem to be narrowing down the culprit!

Jeri

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi Jeri,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:04 AM