none
Excel 2010, Analytics for Twitter, and proxy authentication

Question

• I'm having problems getting Microsoft's Analytics for Twitter working; Excel isn't authenticating to our ISA 2006 server when running the query. If I disable the proxy configuration, it works fine. With it enabled, I get the following error on the proxy log: 12209 The ISA Server requires authorization to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy filter is denied.' The client username shows as 'anonymous' rather than the username.

I came across this link, which refers to MS article 2123563: 'You cannot open Office file types directly from a server that supports only Basic authentication over a non-SSL connection.' But the Excel file is local, it's just the web query that seems to be the problem. I did try the fix as mentioned, but that didn't resolve the problem.

I also came across this link, which seems to imply bypassing the proxy or adding the url as an exception are the way to go, but for business reasons I can't allow that.

Any idea what I can do to get this to use the user's credentials when connecting to the proxy server to run the query?

Monday, July 02, 2012 3:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    Please check that whether you touch something about authentication method on the "Internal" network properties and the "Web Proxy" tab.
    "Integrated" authentication must be enabled on the ISA object "internal network" to allow authentication to be automatically transmitted by IE wihtout prompting.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Yes, we have both digest and integrated methods activated for the 'internal' network on the proxy. Web browsing with IE works fine - users don't get a logon pop-up, and their usernames are logged.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Just an FYI - support for these free downloads like the Analytics for Twitter is best effort. We cannot guarantee a resolution, but we can offer suggestions for fixing the problem.

That being said, I came across the following which may help. The problem to me doesn't sound like it's Excel, it sounds like your proxy server isn't configured to allow the kind of traffic this add in is requiring. You might check the following:

Web Proxy Clients Cannot View External Sites When You Enable Digest Authentication for Outgoing Web Requests
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816959

Troubleshooting ISA Authentication issues
    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Troubleshooting_ISA_authentication_issues.html

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Thank you, I'll check out those articles and report back.
    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:43 AM