none
Word hangs when opening files on network share

Question

• It was suggesed that I ask this question in this forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/word-hangs-when-opening-files-on-network-share/80bda8b5-aedf-4593-a883-84f934c8f77c

I have a homegroup set up.  I have files on my work laptop (info24) that I access from my desktop (info23) when home.  The \\info24\documents is shared.  Often when I try to open an MS Office file on the laptop I get the splash screen with a Contacting: \\info24 and ESC to cancel.  Eventually the file will open.  But it's an extreme lag. While having the folder open I can open a pdf file in the same folder within a second.  This only happens with Microsoft Office products.  The Word application never crashes.  This isn't about it crashes. This is about it hanging for long periods of time when opening a file that's on a homegroup shared folder.  It may take minutes to open a file when opened from a homegroup share in MS Office products only.  Other files can be opened (like pdf) from the same folder with no problem.  There are no error messages.  The MS Word splash screen comes up and says Contacting:\\INFO24\..<the path> and eventually the path is shortened to just\\info24 and at some point the document will open.  Only the splash screen is up during this time - the MS Word window never opens.  My only way out of it is to hit the cancel link on the splash screen.  This does not happen when a file is opened locally.  Saving the file to my desktop and opening it from there with MS Word is no problem.  It opens fast as usual. 

The network location is trusted within trust center.  All the add-ins are disabled.  The only template is Normal (not on a network share - the local machine).

This is so frustrating.  It doesn't necessarily happen all the time either.  But when it is an extreme time waste when it does as I open and close many documents through the day.  I've even tried rebooting both machines - that has no affect.  As I workaround I've  installed the free OpenOffice from Apache and it works fine when opening the same files.

I saw some posts from Microsoft people that this was a known problem in 2009 and that a fix was coming.  The only fix I found was a fix for windows server 2008.  It of course wouldn't install on Win 7.  I also saw older,also unaswered posts talking about manual hacks to disable SMB2.0 which I also don't want to do (why disable an entire subsystem for the MS Office applications to work???? Really?) Surely in three years Microsoft has released a solution to this huge problem?

I also have a similar problem when dragging and dropping an MS Word attachment into an outlook message to attach it to the message.  The entire Outlook application hangs.  There are no error messages.  Outlook goes Not Responding (I can kill Outlook since it's in a not responding state).  I have noticed that while I'm waiting in Outlook I can sometimes hit the ESC button and the hang seems to go away and the attachment is attached.  I don't know exactly why.  Out of frustration one time I think I hit ESC and came across it.  Though this doesn't work every time.

The PCs are of course up to date with all updates.  I read elsewhere that to updates would fix it KB974561 and KB981715.  Downloaded and both said that there are no products affect by this package on the system.

I've also seen a couple of notes from Microsoft on forums wherein they want the person to pay to open a ticket for them to debug the issue that so many people have with MS Office (just google this problem). I don't think I'll be doing that.. I'm actually pretty enthused with openoffice at the moment (especially the more I read about how many people have the problem I do for years with no real respones from Big Brother).

Thanks

• Edited by Herschel123 Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Herschel123,

I got a few questions to help me better understand your issue and isolate the problem

1. What word version, build and bit are you running?
    2. I know you mentioned the issue happens with MS Office files, can you list the ones it happens with e.g. word, excel, PowerPoint etc
    3. Does this issue happen with both binary and xml files (for example doc and docx files)
    4. Do you experience delays in the following scenarios (assuming you reproduce the issue with word)
      1. Dragging and dropping a document into Word from the network
      2. Doing a File -> open from Word and opening the document from the network
      3. Double clicking the document from its network location
      4. Right clicking the document and selecting Open from the network location
    5. Is it correct to say the issue only reproduces over the network and not when files are stored locally on your desktop?
    6. Finally what Anti-virus are your running, can you disable/remove and test without antivirus running?

Thanks for your time. and effort.

Regards,

Arthur

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards. 

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Hello,

We have same issue. what worked for us so far is :

Right click WINWORD.EXE  and check the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Thanks

-Reda

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:30 PM
  • check this link this may help you

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/29400-Word-Freezes-Opening-Files-on-Network-Share-%282000-2002%29

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Hi Herschel123,

I got a few questions to help me better understand your issue and isolate the problem

1. What word version, build and bit are you running?
    2. I know you mentioned the issue happens with MS Office files, can you list the ones it happens with e.g. word, excel, PowerPoint etc
    3. Does this issue happen with both binary and xml files (for example doc and docx files)
    4. Do you experience delays in the following scenarios (assuming you reproduce the issue with word)
      1. Dragging and dropping a document into Word from the network
      2. Doing a File -> open from Word and opening the document from the network
      3. Double clicking the document from its network location
      4. Right clicking the document and selecting Open from the network location
    5. Is it correct to say the issue only reproduces over the network and not when files are stored locally on your desktop?
    6. Finally what Anti-virus are your running, can you disable/remove and test without antivirus running?

Thanks for your time. and effort.

Regards,

Arthur

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:20 AM