none
Office 2010 error when trying to save as pdf or xps: 'The export failed due to an unexpected error' What causes this error? Solutions?

Question

• Where previously able, users can no longer save documents in office 2010 as pdf or xps. When they try they get the following message:'The export failed due to an unexpected error' This happens in word, in excel i get "document not saved". PowerPoint says " An error occurred while PowerPoint was saving the file"

This is across the board on the network. I searched for a solution without finding anything useful that could point out what the problem might be. I did notice that the problem can happen for a variety of reasons it seems and people had the issue regularly for a while. I checked policy settings, anti virus issues, trusted locations. does anyone have a suggestion of where to look next. It is strange to me that this feature just stops working. So what is the process behind this conversion? perhaps if we know that I can see if we changed anything that could hinder that.

Any help would be welcome at this point. thank you .

Also event viewer has not been particularly useful.

-<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft Office 14 Alerts" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">300</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-08T12:37:28.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>312</EventRecordID>

<Channel>OAlerts</Channel>

<Computer>our computer</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>Microsoft Word</Data>

<Data>The export failed due to an unexpected error.</Data>

<Data>201440</Data>

<Data>14.0.6029.1000</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

</EventData>

</Event>

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:17 PM

Answers

• Well,

I found the cause. This it due to a temp fix we applied to counter the duqu malware.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2639658

So until we get a proper sulution on that we will have to deal with no pdf saving.

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:19 PM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• Well,

I found the cause. This it due to a temp fix we applied to counter the duqu malware.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2639658

So until we get a proper sulution on that we will have to deal with no pdf saving.

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:19 PM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:30 PM
  • if you still have the problem; we corrected it by setting read right to everyone user on the dll %windir%\system32\t2embed.dll
    It corrected the problem for us.
    • Proposed as answer by fridmeister Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:44 PM
    Monday, December 05, 2011 12:20 AM
  • I am running Vista Home Premium with Office 2010 pro. 

I've tried the various fixes mentioned including the MS Fix Its and still I am unable to save to pdf in any Office 2010 program.  This is killing a lot of my Access databases right now.  I even tried to renaming t2embed.dll to t2embed.bac then tried to use the t2embed.dll from my xp install where office is working as expected.  I even tried to repair the office install.

For the time being I've had to recode access to print to my pdf printer vs native office save as pdf. 

I'm hoping I am not the only one that the aforementioned fixes did not work.  I've stopped trying to fix this myself and hope for update from MS.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:36 PM
  • if you still have the problem; we corrected it by setting read right to everyone user on the dll %windir%\system32\t2embed.dll
    It corrected the problem for us.

How did you set the permission for people?  I tried making a batch file  that says  cacls C:\Windows\System32\t2embed.dll /E /R everyone but I get an access denied error.
    • Proposed as answer by Terlew Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:30 PM
  • I'm still having this issue.  I verified that the t2embed.dll has read/execute permissions for everyone but I still can't save a PDF file.  I'm running Vista Home Premium x64  Word 2007

I just noted that the error only occurs when the "ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)" is selected under the options menu when saving as a PDF file.  Unfortunately, the printers where I'm sending my file specifically ask that this be selected.  If the option is not selected the PDF file is created.

• Edited by OscarG13 Friday, December 30, 2011 11:31 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:08 AM
  • I must be a true dummy....where do you put this on your computer?

I've written a book and am trying to save it as a pdf to publish it. It won't save in Publisher nor Word as a pdf....I have a dead line and really need this to happen. Can you help?

Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:54 PM
  • I have been using free cutepdf (http://www.cutepdf.com) to print (save) as pdf

that helps

Friday, January 06, 2012 9:47 PM
  • While cutepdf and any pdf printer work as a alternative they do not offer a solution to the problem which is that Microsoft broke an important feature for some of us.  I have quite a few access database projects that utilize the built in pdf creation and this issue has required me to place band aids all over to get through until MS fixes this issue.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Can you please give us an update on this?  Has a solution been found?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Hi

In windows XP

Go to windows\system32

find t2embed.dll (you must set the option to see all files and folders in windows explorer)

open properties

open security tab

choose users

check "allow" in read and execute

Note: this is a translation of my portuguese layout.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:35 PM
  • What if Allow is already check for read and execute for all users in the security list?
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:39 PM
  • I walked through the fix here and it works for XP only.

How do I determine for sure this fix is also for WIN 7 office 2007 / 2010.

Added those permissions for t2embed.dll has no effect on WIN 7.  I even tried copying the dll from a working machine to

the one in question and same issue.

Monday, January 16, 2012 7:42 PM
  • I walked through the fix here and it works for XP only.

How do I determine for sure this fix is also for WIN 7 office 2007 / 2010.

Added those permissions for t2embed.dll has no effect on WIN 7.  I even tried copying the dll from a working machine to

the one in question and same issue.

You can also include Vista as an OS where this fix does not work.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Hi All,

I encounter the same trouble when trying to save any Office 2010 document (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio...) as a PDF after using the 'MicrosoftFixit50792 - Enable' security patch for 'Duqu'.

When I use the 'MicrosoftFixit50793 - Disable' patch (also available), I fully recover the save as PDF fontionnality without any error.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits / Office Professionnal 2010.

Hope this can help.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:09 PM
  • copy that. issue on Win 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32bit fully patched.

PDF/A doesn't work but the plain PDF works. (Office and VISIO)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:45 PM
  • everyone was set to deny read, read&execute.  Since denies are evaluated first, this would cause problems.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:45 PM
  • I did the same as others by changing permissions on t2embed.dll but that didnt work. I then looked to see if there were any sections of the document that I could save as a pdf. In that way I narrowed the problem down to a windows metafile or emf, cant remember which exactly which. After replacing the image file with a png there was no problem saving as a pdf.
    • Proposed as answer by mmo17 Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:37 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:01 AM
  • it fixed it for my in Win 7 office 2010

you just have to tweak the instructions to fit the os (which was very little adjustment)
    In windows 7
    1. Go to windows\system32
    2. find t2embed.dll (you must set the option to see all files and folders in windows explorer)
    3. open properties
    4. open security tab
    5. select 'Everyone' or whatever users you are trying to allow
    6. Click Edit
    7. check Full Control allow All
    8. click ok

in word
      save as > save as type > pdf
    Friday, March 02, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I had to take the extra step to make myself the owner of the file, but after that the permission change solved the problem. As somebody else mentioned, Everyone is set to Deny Full by default. Thanks, M$!
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:32 PM
  • This solved it for me.  I had dozens of images and one had to extracted and saved in a different format.   Thanks.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:53 AM
  • When I try to change permissions on the file, everything's in grey and I can't click any of the boxes to change the permissions. Jonathan Hill, what was the extra step you took to make yourself the owner? I'm the owner and only one who uses this computer. Don't know why anything would be blocked. 
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Bingo! This did the trick! I had an "office drawing object" as a figure in my Word file and after cutting that out and pasting it back in as .png I was finally able to print this file as .pdf! And I verified this restarting with an elder copy of the file: this is the ONLY change that was necessary!

I had been searching left and right and applied FixIt's and changed .dll file permissions and what not but THIS finally did it!

Thanks mate - I owe you!

M.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:40 PM
  • I had the same error.

I tried to check if there was any elements in the document that caused this, and when I removed a specific drawing canvas it worked.

To go in and check even deeper what the cause was, I tried to do some changes on the properties on the drawing canvas. And when I unchecked "Lock picture aspect ratio" I could save as PDF.

So for me unchecking the option "Lock picture aspect ratio" on a specific drawing canvas was all I had to do to get it working again. 

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:40 AM
  • In my case, I narrowed the problem to figure out which page it couldn't convert and found out that in one page, I had some math formula and used Cambria Math font. By removing it, the whole document was converted. 

Even though the "Bitmap text when fonts may not be embedded" option was set but it still cannot convert the doc to PDF. Moreover, changing the permission of the dll file doesn't work for me at all. 

By reading the whole thread, I want to conclude that MS has not tested this feature extensively yet and probably, these comments help them to fix the root of the problem.

So long

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:39 PM
  • This solution worked for me.  Thanks
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:57 PM
  • So when is going to be fixed...?

It's been over a year and still no fix, what is the point of having the choice to save as a PDF/a in powerpoint 2013 when you know it does not work...

Need to save powerpoint file as a pdf/a so that it will embed fonts etc, as sending file to printers who's RIP software refuses to print unless fonts are embedded.

Ivan

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:09 PM
  • when you upgrade to Windows 8 - the ability to save any document as a pdf is eliminated - any solutions

This is really important to those of us that use Microsoft Publisher

Anne

Friday, March 29, 2013 3:31 PM
  • This is still a problem for me now. I have about 200 equations, 50 eps images and 10 drawing canvas images and I'm not converting them all to images.

Still no fix? What a mess. 

• Proposed as answer by ModAnon Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ModAnon Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:25 AM
  • This is still a problem for me now. I have about 200 equations, 50 eps images and 10 drawing canvas images and I'm not converting them all to images.

Still no fix? What a mess. 

I was in same situation.  You've probably found a solution already, but I'll leave a note for future weary travelers.  Normally I could save/print as PDF, but this one doc was giving me problems.  Turns out an equation cross-reference goofed when trying to save as PDF.  Here's how I troubleshooted and fixed the issue in my case:

1. Save your .docx file as a .doc (Word 97 - 2003 compatible).  Doing so automatically converts all equations, images, and drawings into images so you don't have to do it automatically.

2. Open your new .doc file and try to save and/or print as PDF.  One of these messages should work.

3. Open your PDF.  Yes, your nice equations and graphs will look pixelated and ugly as heck now. Just ignore that and look through the PDF to find actual errors such as messed-up embedded text, etc.

4. Correct all the errors you found in your original .docx document (by deleting + reinserting, redoing something, what have you)

5. You should now be able to save and/or print to PDF your original .docx document (again, that's only if your save/print as PDF function usually works in the first place)

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:47 AM