none
Bootstrap will not install McxStandalone.msi

Question

• I've followed the same directions most people have. I've configured the listening ports and published. I've installed the IIS 7.5 dynamic compression feature. I've copied McxStandalone.msi to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Lync Server\Deployment\cache\4.0.7577.0\setup\ and when I run ./Bootstrapper.exe nothing is installing.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2010\Deployment> .\Bootstrapper.exe

Checking prerequisites for bootstrapper...
    Checking prerequisite WMIEnabled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoBootstrapperOnBranchOfficeAppliance...prerequisite satis
    fied.
    Checking prerequisite SupportedOS...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoOtherVersionInstalled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Host name: pl-lync.tcfc.pvt
    Disabling unused roles...
    Executing PowerShell command: Disable-CSComputer -Confirm:$false -Verbose -Repor
    t ""
    Checking prerequisites for roles...
    Checking prerequisite SupportedOS...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SupportedOSNoDC...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoUnsupportedSqlRtcLocal...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite WMIEnabled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoOtherVersionInstalled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite PowerShell2...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SupportedServerOS...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoUnsupportedSqlRtc...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite IIS...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite IIS7Features...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlExpressRtcLocal...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite VCredist...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlNativeClient...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlBackcompat...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite UcmaRedist...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlExpressRtc...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite RewriteModule...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite JSharp...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite Wmf2008...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite Wmf2008R2...prerequisite satisfied.
    Installing any collocated databases...
    Executing PowerShell command: Install-CSDatabase -Confirm:$false -Verbose -Local
    Databases -Report ""
    Enabling new roles...
    Executing PowerShell command: Enable-CSComputer -Confirm:$false -Verbose -Report
     ""
    Complete.
    Log file was: %TEMP%\Bootstrap-CsMachine-[2012_02_07][09_26_19].html

I've tried doing this many times over with no success and the IIS directories are never created. This is a standard edition installation. We've been using Lync successfully for simple IM and sharing for a long time so a "start over" scenario isn't really an option. Does anyone have any advice?
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• This ended up being an issue with the database replication actually. To resolve it (the mobility part, not the database part) I manually copied:

...xds-master\replicas\<server>\to-replica\data.zip to C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica\from-master

and then

C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica\to-master\status.zip to ...xds-master\replicas\<server>\from-replica

This allowed the database to be in sync and everything installed fine after that.

• Marked as answer by rtbarnes001 Friday, February 17, 2012 10:25 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:24 PM

All replies

• After you have installed CU4, did you configure the mobility listening ports and enable the topology prior to running bootstrapper.exe ?

Set-CsWebServer –Identity "webserver:lyncpool.something.com" -McxSipInternalListeningPort 5086 -McxSipExternalListeningPort 5087

Enable-CsTopology –verbose

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Thanks for the reply - yes, I've done both of those with no luck.

After those commands, if I run Get-CsService -WebServer I can see that those have taken.

McxSipPrimaryListeningPort      : 5086
    McxSipExternalListeningPort     : 5087

I'm unable to telnet to those ports but I don't think that they open until a connection is made. Any other ideas?
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Please try running the Mcxstandalone.msi directly and check if that installs the Mcx and Autodiscover directories. It is known to work in some cases.

If the above fails

Open the logs @  %TEMP%\Bootstrap-CsMachine-[2012_02_07][09_26_19].html. What do the logs say. Do they mention anything about Autodiscover and Mcx

Abhay Kamath (MSFT)- Global Partner Services

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:16 PM
  • If I run MCXstandalone.msi it does create the IIS dirs. However, phones still don't connect and I get the error 500 on any tests (Test-CsMcxP2PIM). Also, if Bootstrapper is ran after a manual install it removes the MCXstandalone changes. The logs do not even mention it.
    • Edited by rtbarnes001 Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Have you followed the Lync Mobility guide to configure the DNS records and update the Public certs with the SAN's?

You can have a quick look at te following blog.

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/12/deploying-the-lync-2010-mobility-service/

Abhay Kamath (MSFT)- Global Partner Services

Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Hi rtbarnes,

If you run Bootstrapper.exe from Lync Server Management Shell, you must prepend the path with a period (.) and enclose the path in quotation marks (").

For example: ."C:\Program ent\Bootstrapper.exe".

Noya Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:52 AM
  • This ended up being an issue with the database replication actually. To resolve it (the mobility part, not the database part) I manually copied:

...xds-master\replicas\<server>\to-replica\data.zip to C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica\from-master

and then

C:\RtcReplicaRoot\xds-replica\to-master\status.zip to ...xds-master\replicas\<server>\from-replica

This allowed the database to be in sync and everything installed fine after that.

• Marked as answer by rtbarnes001 Friday, February 17, 2012 10:25 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:24 PM