none
Adding CsHostingProvider to federate with Exchange Online breaks other federation partner

Question

• I am in the process of integrating our on-premise Lync server with Exchange Online for cloud mailbox Unified Messaging and cloud OWA IM/presence support.
    I've followed technet and several blogs to set up the federation:
    New-CsHostingProvider -Identity "ExchangeOnline" -Enabled $True -EnabledSharedAddressSpace $True -HostsOCSUsers $False -ProxyFqdn "exap.um.outlook.com" -IsLocal $False -VerificationLevel UseSourceVerification

When my edge server picks up the change my cloud OWA has working integration with Lync. However, it also breaks my federation with GMail. I no longer see presence information and when sending an IM to a gmail contact I see:
    This message was not delivered to john.doe@gmail.com because the address is outside of your organization and is not federated with your company, or the address is incorrect.

At this point I also notice a lot of the following errors in a S4/SIPStack trace on my front end and edge server
    1008;reason="Unable to resolve DNS SRV record";domain="mydomain.com";source="sip.mydomain.com"

Where mydomain.com is my primary SIP domain that contains all necessary Lync SRV records in DNS.

As soon as I remove the Exchange Online hosting provider I get gmail presence and I can send IM's to those contacts. After doing a new SIP trace I no longer see the DNS SRV errors for my domain. I found this issue by backtracking to it because as I got to the actual UM configuration and I could not successfully dial my cloud subscriber access number (Posted a thread on that here: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/162/t/42924.aspx). After viewing the traces I saw all of the SRV record errors.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction on this? Whether or not the SRV resolution errors are even a problem, the new hosting provider still breaks xmpp federation with GMail.

• Edited by tpullins Friday, March 16, 2012 7:07 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

• I created to _sipdederationtls_tcp record in internal DNS and my gmail federation now works properly. However I am still unable to get voicemail from Exchange Online UM working at all. My Lync trace now shows that the exchange online UM servers are returning a "Failed to start audio stream".

• Marked as answer by tpullins Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:11 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I believe the configuration is correct , You should verify the SRV records and configuration.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh533880.aspx

Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:56 AM
  • As I stated, I have all of the correct DNS A and SRV records in external DNS. _sipfederationtls is pointed to the external edge A record (sip.mydomain.com) and I have opened the federation port on our TMG firewall. Federation with Lync online push.lync.com is working for our mobility service push notifications. I don't see how it could be a DNS configuration problem. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:19 PM
  • I created to _sipdederationtls_tcp record in internal DNS and my gmail federation now works properly. However I am still unable to get voicemail from Exchange Online UM working at all. My Lync trace now shows that the exchange online UM servers are returning a "Failed to start audio stream".

• Marked as answer by tpullins Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:11 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please check your configuration step by step with the following article which about Connecting Lync Server 2010 to Exchange Online UM:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchangelabshelp/gg702674

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:02 AM
  • I have followed that document. I am going to start a new post with more specific information.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi tpullins,

The internal address of sip.domain.com that you created is Ip address INTERNAL or PUBLIC IP ?

Thanks

Robson Hasselhoff - Follow me @Robk9e

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:30 PM
  • The IP Address is External... solve!

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:42 PM
  • i had the same problem since months

MS O365 Support is looking for a solution since 3 weeks now...

adding _sipfederationtls._tcp. entry referenced with the external ip address to internal dns like tpullins said solved the problem for me

Connection to federated partners AND Exchange Online Voicemail is working now

• Edited by Mr. Bast Friday, May 24, 2013 12:44 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Yeah Mr. Bast solved my problem too... ;) thanks

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:51 PM