none
Importing mail accounts from Live Mail to Outlook 2007

Question

• After a clean install of Windows 7, I installed Office 2007, which I already used with Vista. I also installed Windows Live Mail, not to use it as an e-mail client, but only as an intermediate to import mail accounts, as I used to do with Outlook Express on XP and later with Windows Mail on Vista; Outlook 2003 and 2007 do not import e-mail accounts files. Therefore, I imported all my many e-mail accounts settings to Windows Live Mail from previously saved IAF files.

Until here all worked as expected. The problem is that now, when I try to "Import internet mail account settings" from Windows Live Mail to Outlook it just answers "No internet accounts were found to import". How come? I don't understand. Is this an issue, or doesn't Outlook import the accounts from Windows Live Mail as it used to from Outlook Express and Windows Mail?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:42 AM

All replies

• Almost three months without an answer.

This shows the microsoft's mentality on providing help. This is certainly not the only answered question, there are lots of them. Also, as we can notice, almost all silly questions get answered without extreme delay. Even if we recognise that some people helping know what they say, many give silly answers, just don't care. What are they doing here?

Not all have this uncivilised behaviour, they must be praised and not criticised, and they will understand that this was not written for them.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:24 PM
  • I would also appreciate a solution to this problem!
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Are you trying to get the actual e-mail messages from Windows Live mail over to Outlook?

If so, I ran accros the following tip on another site.  Try this:

Here is how to export the messages to Outlook:
    Open Windows Live Mail.
    Select File.
    Go to Export and select Accounts.
    Under format select "Microsoft Exchange". Despite the name not saying so, it also works for transfering to Outlook.
    Click Next.
    Select the folders you want copy to Outlook and click Ok.
    Finish the wizard and the mail should be in Outlook.

If you are trying to transfer POP3 account settings you may have to configure that manually in Outlook 2007.

Hope this helps.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Thank you very much for caring to help Martin, But I am not wanting to export messages to Outlook 2007, I want to be able to import accounts settings to Outlook, as per the title of the thread, and according to my post above.

Any Help will be welcome.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:10 AM
  • I'm told that Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 no longer import .iaf files.....hmmm....I'm thinking the best bet may be to import the .iaf files into another mail program, and export them in a format that 2007 and 2010 recognize, but I haven't found that program just yet. 

I'm no genius, but I can't understand why Microsoft would not make sure that Outlook mail account settings could be transferred easily......

I'll let you know if i have any success.

Doug

Friday, August 27, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Found this post while googling the same answer. It seems Microsoft has too many departments working on too many programs, continually shifting directions, names, etc. that nobody at Microsoft is capable enough to consider that various applications need to have the ability to 'connect' to each other.

In the real world, users don't remember their ISP email passwords. When IT professionals ask users, "what's your email password?", the users will say, "I don't have a password." Then those helping the users have to put in a call to their ISP support, wait on hold for a while, answer some security questions, go through a flow chart sequence of questions and eventually the password is reset. That's an extremely common experience for me.

Within the context of your post, I'm a reseller and IT solutions provider who's just sold Microsoft Office to a client and I can't import their email from Windows Live Mail (that's Windows 7's version of Outlook Express, Microsoft) into Office 2007 / 2010.

It's as though Microsoft decision making people can't conceive that a person might be using the standard email program for Windows 7 and upgrade to Outlook 2010. Very disappointing.

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:36 PM
  • I searched the net for this problem and no one had a solution.

After trying some things I realized that Outlook is looking in the wrong folder for these account files.

In my users\blake\appdata\local\microsoft\  folder, I have both Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail folders.  All of my stuff is in Windows Live Mail, yet it is looking in Windows Live.

If I move my files to Windows Mail, it starts finding my accounts!  Unfortunately, since Windows Mail didn't support HTTP accounts, I can't import those. 

Is there a way to tell the system Windows Mail is gone and to forget about it?

Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Thanks BlakeHasProblems - I know it's too late for the OP, but someone else may find this and be helped!

I closed WLM, navigated to   "users\xxxxx\appdata\local\microsoft\" , renamed "Windows Mail" folder to "dummy", "Windows Live Mail" renamed to "Windows Mail" .

Then Outlook 2010, File , Open, "Import internet mail account settings" brought over the settings, but not passwords. Once it was done, I renamed the folders back again.

Once it is renamed, you can "Import from another program", and it will transfer everything automatically.

• Edited by DayGloScooter Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Talal Waheed Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:47 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:11 PM
  • not sure if its too late to help you friends. i found this link:

http://www.motobit.com/util/iaf-decoder.asp

through this you can extract account information including passwords port info etc easily and can use to make outlook 2007 account manually.

i am an outlook express lover however microsoft intend to life make lives tougher now my screen reading software doesn't work with with wlm, WM, our ms outlook due to revised menus style. :(

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Cache the manual way for converting wlm files to outlook 2007

Open this page and convert wlm to pst step by step.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/import-messages-into-windows-mail-from-outlook-express

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:30 AM