none
“Outlook not responding” error, or Outlook hangs, freezes or stops working when making changing to mail accounts config

Question

• I am sure this is related to other issues I have seen here, but none of them directly relate.  Whenever I try to make a change in Outlook or most any of the office products, the program stops responding.  I have noticed it mostly in the Outlook because my mail server settings have changed and I can not update them.  I have tried it a number of times and rebooted.  I have even upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2013.  Same in both.

Windows 7 Pro 64 plenty of RAM and Intel i5 processor.

Help!

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Problems with Outlook hanging, freezing or not responding may occur for one or more of the following reasons:

•This issue can occur if you have not installed the latest updates.
    •Outlook may be in use by another process.
    •A previously installed add-in may be interfering with Outlook.
    •You may need to repair your Office programs. 
    •Outlook data files may have become corrupt, or damaged.
    •Antivirus software may be outdated, or conflicting with Outlook.
    •Your user profile may have become corrupt.
    •Another program may be conflicting with Outlook.

For more detail information about the detail steps to the resolution, please refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2652320

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Problems with Outlook hanging, freezing or not responding may occur for one or more of the following reasons:

•This issue can occur if you have not installed the latest updates.
    •Outlook may be in use by another process.
    •A previously installed add-in may be interfering with Outlook.
    •You may need to repair your Office programs. 
    •Outlook data files may have become corrupt, or damaged.
    •Antivirus software may be outdated, or conflicting with Outlook.
    •Your user profile may have become corrupt.
    •Another program may be conflicting with Outlook.

For more detail information about the detail steps to the resolution, please refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2652320

Jaynet Zhang

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:58 AM
  • I do appreciate your input.  I have tried a number of these, but I will give the rest a go and see if it makes any difference.  Any ideas on what other processes could be using Outlook?

Thursday, May 02, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

About how to check to make sure Outlook is not in use by another process:

Performance may be reduced if you use the Outlook AutoArchive feature or sync to Outlook with a mobile device, because these processes may use a large amount of resources.

If Outlook is in use by another process, this information will be displayed in the horizontal status bar at the bottom of the screen. If you try to perform other actions while Outlook is in use, Outlook may not respond. Let the task in process finish its job before attempting other actions.

Jaynet Zhang

Friday, May 03, 2013 1:20 AM