none
Office 2010 - How to tell if it's activated

Question

• Hi,

I've deployed my Win7 image which had Office 2010 pre-installed to 5 client PCs. I did rearm both Win7 and Office 2010 prior to capture.

I've added these test machines to my domain and my KMS host is show a 'Current Count' of 5, so it looks like the 5 client PCs have contacted the KMS host for activation.

My question is this:

How can I make sure my Office is activated on each on the 5 clients?

On the clients I have run the command slmgr.vbs /dlv bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864 but this comes back with "Error: Product key not found".

Many thanks

Matt

Matt Courtman, Network Manager, Cromwell Community College, UK
    Friday, December 10, 2010 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt, everything looks good.  Yes, the KMS clients will need to re-activate once every 180 days.  However, the way it works is that the clients will re-attempt activation every seven days automatically, so it's trying to give you as close to 180 days left as possible (e.g. it won't wait until the last day to re-activate, only to find that something's wrong).  Re-activating doesn't use up anything, so you can do it as often as you want with as many clients as you want.  All this is happening transparently in the background, so users don't have to worry about activation at all.

I'm not sure why some clients show the data in VAMT and some don't.  Is WMI allowed in the Windows firewall for all the clients?  Are you logged into the machine you're running VAMT on with the same admin credentials as the ones in the client machines?

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:45 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:50 AM

All replies

• On the Office 2010 clients, please run the ospp.vbs script to see licensing status, using the /dstatus parameter.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624350.aspx#section1

Alternatively, you can use VAMT 2.0 from any machine and see the licensing status of your client machines:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

The Software Protection Platform was introduced in Windows Vista, and it was improved in W7.  Since Office 2010 is supported on WinXP, Office 2010 includes its own version of the SPP.  That's why a different script (ospp.vbs) is used to configure Office clients.

On the KMS host (server) side, the same SPP is used for both Windows and Office, which is why slmgr.vbs is used.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Monday, December 13, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Many thanks for your help Ted.

I have run the ospp.vbs script and this is the response I get (I have removed the SKU ID's):

It looks as if my Office, Visio and Project installations are all licensed ok. Am I right in thinking they have to activate again after 180 days?

One thing though; I did initially try the VAMT 2.0 tool and although it finds all of my test client PCs, when I try to "Update Status" some come back fine (showing Windows 7, Office 2010, Project 2010 and Visio 2010) but some error out saying they cannot connect to the WMI interface. This is peculiar as all my test clients were installed using the same Windows 7 image. I would like to resolve this so I can use VAMT to check the status of all my domain clients centrally.

Best wishes,

Matt

Matt Courtman, Network Manager, Cromwell Community College, UK
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi Matt, everything looks good.  Yes, the KMS clients will need to re-activate once every 180 days.  However, the way it works is that the clients will re-attempt activation every seven days automatically, so it's trying to give you as close to 180 days left as possible (e.g. it won't wait until the last day to re-activate, only to find that something's wrong).  Re-activating doesn't use up anything, so you can do it as often as you want with as many clients as you want.  All this is happening transparently in the background, so users don't have to worry about activation at all.

I'm not sure why some clients show the data in VAMT and some don't.  Is WMI allowed in the Windows firewall for all the clients?  Are you logged into the machine you're running VAMT on with the same admin credentials as the ones in the client machines?

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:45 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:50 AM