none
Outlook 2010 - stop sharing folder, hand remains

Question

• I have a user that was sharing many folders quite some time ago, before moving to Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010. I removed all of the old users he was sharing the folders with, but the folder icon never changed back to the default plain icon, they all still hand the hand under it giving the impression that the folder is still being shared.

Worried that this might be a migration/upgrade issue, I shared a folder in my mailbox that has never been shared, the removed the shared user, but the same thing happens and the icon never changes back to the "non-shared" default icon. I thought this might require some Exchange management tasks to run overnight, but it's the next day and the folder still appears as being shared. Needless to say, this makes it quite difficult for users to determine which of potentially hundreds of folders are shared, if they all have the hand under them as the folder may have been shared at some point in the past.

Anyone know if this is something with my environment, or possible something that may be fixed in Office 2010 SP1?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I was looking for the answer to this problem - and found the solution with the help of the advice given by Michael_DMS.

To expand on Michael_DMS's answer: it seems when you change the permission level back to 'none' it does not complete remove all the permission entries. In my case it still had the 'Folder visible' entry for 'Other' section still selected. This, as its name suggests, causes the folder to still be visible and thus still considered to be 'shared'. If you de-select this 'Folder visible' entry then the hand icon disappears (assuming all other options are deselected too).

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mon

• Marked as answer by J-Boo Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm pretty sure it is by design. The share folder icon indicate this folder can be shared. You should have not problem migrating the mailboxes as it will carry over the permissions.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Hi,

I'm pretty sure it is by design. The share folder icon indicate this folder can be shared. You should have not problem migrating the mailboxes as it will carry over the permissions.

I think you misunderstood what I said. The only problem is that folders that are no longer being shared still show the hand. This causes a problem as you now don't know which folders are currently being shared and which are not as every folder that was ever shared at some point in the past still has a hand beneath it even though the folder is no longer being shared. If this is by design then I really don't understand what the goal of this is, as all folders by default don't have a "sharing" hand, and everyone is aware that they can be shared, but they aren't shared unless they are actually shared. If the hand remains after the sharing has been removed, what is the point of the hand other than to make us check all 200 folders under our inbox every few weeks to make sure somebody still doesn't have access to a folder which they shouldn't have access to any longer.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:04 AM
  • I cannot repro that here so it might indeed have been fixed in SP1 as I have that applied.

Are the Default and the Anonymous user still listed and have their permissions been set to "None"?
    If not, you can reset the permissions on the server via ExFolders;
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Exchange-2010-SP1-ExFolders-e6bfd405

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Thanks for the info. Yes, default and anonymous are still there and set to none.

I'll apply SP1 to a computer to check if it fixes it.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I have the same setup. Every folder created has the shared hand underneath the folder. I think it mean that you can share this folder.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:52 PM
  • I have the same setup. Every folder created has the shared hand underneath the folder. I think it mean that you can share this folder.

No, a hand underneath it indicates that it IS share, not that it CAN be shared.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:04 AM
  • I have the same problem as J-Boo indicated.  However I have applied SP1 and that did not fix the issue. The hand remains even though sharing permissions have been revoked.  Default and Anon are still listed and set to none.  Any other ideas on how to remove the hand?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I applied SP1 a while back, and as JessicaD79 stated, the folders still have the sharing icon. Office has all updates as of today.

Is it possible this could be caused by our version of Exchange? Our servers are currently at Exchange 2010 SP1 (14.1.218.15).

The Default and Anonymous users are still there with permissions set to None.

This is not a huge issue for me personally, but other users have > 100 folders with the hand icon, present since the upgrade from Exchange 2007 -> 2010, and through the Outlook 2007 -> 2010 upgrade. For them it is impossible to maintain the sharing permissions on their folders.

• Edited by J-Boo Tuesday, September 06, 2011 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 2:24 PM
  • I have had the same issue, however i fixed it by going to the folder properties, then permissions, there will be a permissions entry for a user other than the owner. remove the permissions entry and the hand dissapeared.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Michael

• Marked as answer by J-Boo Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by J-Boo Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:50 PM
    Friday, December 02, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

I was looking for the answer to this problem - and found the solution with the help of the advice given by Michael_DMS.

To expand on Michael_DMS's answer: it seems when you change the permission level back to 'none' it does not complete remove all the permission entries. In my case it still had the 'Folder visible' entry for 'Other' section still selected. This, as its name suggests, causes the folder to still be visible and thus still considered to be 'shared'. If you de-select this 'Folder visible' entry then the hand icon disappears (assuming all other options are deselected too).

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mon

• Marked as answer by J-Boo Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mon

That fixed it! In my case it was the 'Folder Visible' permission under 'Default' that caused this. Folder Visible being checked on other accounts, such as Anonymous or an actual user account, do not cause the hand to appear.

Thanks for figuring this one out folks.

• Edited by J-Boo Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:49 PM
  • The 'Default' user was the culprit for my trouble as well. Even though the permissions for 'Default' did NOT have the 'Folder visible' permission checked, I think it secretly was checked. On the same Permission tab, I simply clicked the 'Remove' button for user 'Default' and then clicked OK. The hand symbol went away, and when I went back into the Permissions tab, the 'Default' user had been restored/recreated/inherited as needed.
    • Edited by Frinkfree Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MyriadComputers Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:21 PM
  • As frinkfree suggested, there is an issue with the 'folder visible' checkbox being ticked but NOT displaying a tick.

Rather than deleting the default (or any other user), I just reset their permission level to 'none' (even though it already was), the tick in 'folder visible' then appeared. I was then able to untick 'folder visible' and click OK.

Share hands vanishes. 

Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:25 AM