none
Powerpoint 2010 save as webpage

Question

• Using MS 2010 PowerPoint - use to be able to save presentation as .htm or .html and display in a webpart using Sharepoint - what in powerpoint 2010 is the equal to this function???
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

PowerPoint 2010 offers new support for viewing presentations directly within web browsers. This helps provide a consistent experience for viewing presentations and enables the display of features such as animations and transitions.

You can save presentations as an .htm file or as a .mht file through the PowerPoint object model. This provides compatibility with older add-ins and macros.

To save a file as a webpage (*.htm;*.html) to the desktop by using the ppSaveAsHTML argument for the *.htm file format, without embedding true type fonts (msoFalse), follow these steps:

• Open the presentation that you want to export to HTML.
    • Press ALT+F11.
    • Press CTRL+G.
    • In the Immediate window type the following: ActivePresentation.SaveAs "<Drive>:\users\<username>\desktop\<filename>.htm", ppSaveAsHTML, msoFalse
    • Press ENTER.

Note To save as a Single File Web Page (*.mht;*.mhtml) file format, replace html at the end of the file name with mht, and replace ppSaveAsHTML with ppSaveAsWebArchive.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, September 03, 2010 6:58 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

PowerPoint 2010 offers new support for viewing presentations directly within web browsers. This helps provide a consistent experience for viewing presentations and enables the display of features such as animations and transitions.

You can save presentations as an .htm file or as a .mht file through the PowerPoint object model. This provides compatibility with older add-ins and macros.

To save a file as a webpage (*.htm;*.html) to the desktop by using the ppSaveAsHTML argument for the *.htm file format, without embedding true type fonts (msoFalse), follow these steps:

• Press ALT+F11.
    • Press CTRL+G.
    • In the Immediate window type the following: ActivePresentation.SaveAs "<Drive>:\users\<username>\desktop\<filename>.htm", ppSaveAsHTML, msoFalse
    • Press ENTER.

Note To save as a Single File Web Page (*.mht;*.mhtml) file format, replace html at the end of the file name with mht, and replace ppSaveAsHTML with ppSaveAsWebArchive.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, September 03, 2010 6:58 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:37 AM
  • C'mon Microsoft...Some of us are not geeks...we just know how to use PowerPoint and use it often.  This change makes no sense at all and your directions on how to save as a webpage are no help either. Why would you change a perfectly simple options to this complex hodgepodge of entries.  I'm a 72 year old professional speaker and have used PowerPoint since it came out. I know what I'm doing but am not a computer expert.  Make it simple....please!!! 
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

You can also do it using oomfo's "Export to Web page" option - see http://blog.oomfo.com/2011/05/export-powerpoint-slides-as-web-pages/

Cheers,
    Pallav

Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:47 AM
  • C'mon Microsoft...Some of us are not geeks...we just know how to use PowerPoint and use it often.  This change makes no sense at all and your directions on how to save as a webpage are no help either. Why would you change a perfectly simple options to this complex hodgepodge of entries.  I'm a 72 year old professional speaker and have used PowerPoint since it came out. I know what I'm doing but am not a computer expert.  Make it simple....please!!! 

I do agree !

It is possible to make more difficult to get an html page ?

It is possible to make more stupid to cancel this option which is one of the most usefull nowadays ?

Hello Microsoft, we are in the 21st century...and publishing on the internet is not an option...

:-(

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

You can also do it using oomfo's "Export to Web page" option - see http://blog.oomfo.com/2011/05/export-powerpoint-slides-as-web-pages/

Cheers,
    Pallav

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with 2010 edition...
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Actually it does work for the 2010 edition. Lucky for me I am a little tech savvy, which was interesting to me they used microsoft framework visual basic which seems like a long "work-around" for a process that could have been created as an add-on to the powerpoint program (just like in previous versions), nevertheless the language was actually clear to me. Just a few things to note:

To save a file as a webpage (*.htm;*.html) to the desktop by using the ppSaveAsHTML argument for the *.htm file format, without embedding true type fonts (msoFalse), follow these steps: (IGNORE THIS LINGO IF NOT TECHY)

FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN EXACT ORDER

• Press ALT+F11. (A SIDE PROGRAM WILL OPEN CALLED VISUAL BASIC)
    • Press CTRL+G. (A TEXT BOX WILL APPEAR AT THE BOTTOM CALLED "IMMEDIATE")(THIS WINDOW CONSIDER IT LIKE A SAVE AS WINDOW AND YOU ARE TELLING IT WHERE TO GO)
    • In the Immediate window type the following: ActivePresentation.SaveAs "<Drive>:\users\<username>\desktop\<filename>.htm", ppSaveAsHTML, msoFalse (I COPIED AND PASTED THIS ROOT LOCATION SO WHEN YOU PASTE THE FILE INTO THE WINDOW IT WILL SAY  ActivePresentation.SaveAs "<Drive>:\users\<username>\desktop\<filename>.htm THAT IS WHAT IS KNOWN AS THE ROOT DIRECTORY) (AT THIS POINT THE TEXT IN THE "<>" BRACKETS SUCH AS "<DRIVE>" SHOULD BE RENAMED TO THE FOLLOWING:

<DRIVE> = LOCATION OF HARD DRIVE. FOR ME IT WAS THE "C:" DRIVE

<USERNAME>= THE NAME OF USER YOU ARE LOGGED ONTO. (THIS CAN BE FOUND BY GOING TO "MY COMPUTER" CLICKING YOUR "HARD DRIVE" THEN CLICKING "USERS" THE NAME IN WHICH YOU ARE LOGGED UNDER SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST WITH POSSIBLY A PADLOCK ON IT (ONLY IF YOU REQUIRE A PASSWORD TO LOG INTO YOUR COMPUTER) IT MUST BE TYPED EXACTLY AS THE FOLDER SPELLS IT OUT AS (EX: IF THE FOLDER SAYS "JOHN DOE" WITH THE SPACE BETWEEN YOU HAVE TO SPELL IT "JOHN DOE" WITH THE SPACE BETWEEN)

<FILENAME>=THIS IS STANDARD AS IF YOU WERE USING THE "SAVE AS" COMMAND... NAME YOUR FILE. FOR ME I KEPT IT SIMPLE AND JUST PUT IN "WEB PAGE".

*** REMOVE THE BRACKETS*** THE "<" AND THE ">" DO NOT BELONG IN THE TYPED TEXT.

• Press ENTER. (IF YOU DID EVERYTHING RIGHT THERE SHOULD BE A FILE ON YOUR DESKTOP, THAT IS YOUR PPT AS AN HTML)

WITH THAT SAID GOOD LUCK!!!

Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Keep in mind that this process is unlike previous versions of PowerPoint where files in this manner can be published easily to the web, the process makes it more difficult when uploading it to an external server, thus almost preventing it from going on the internet. What I can say though is that in a P2P environment when sharing this form across an intranet, not the internet, the only use it will have is that the presentation can be viewed by internet explorer only and cannot be edited.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 7:23 AM
  • There are easier ways than this for most uses.  Click File, choose "Save & Send" and then click the option to Save to the Web.  The Broadcast Slideshow is also very handy, which lets you broadcast a live video feed to anyone in the world.
    Shawn Keene
    Friday, July 01, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Thank you for this.

I was wondering if you also knew how to set some options while saving as .htm ... I used to be able to provide access to the NOTES sectin of each slide.

Can this still be done also?

Thanks alot.

Sue M.

Friday, August 12, 2011 10:54 PM
  • I wonder if we could ever get the name of the MSFT manager who made the final descision on this one?  I hope that, that manager's position has been cut.  Here we are out here flogging away in the fast paced IT industry and MSFT themselves trips us up like this?  Now I have to fall back to VBScripting IDE and learn how to enter an application level command just to save it as HTML.  On top of that it's a regression from what was supported before.

This is just plain dumb and a black eye for MSFT mgmnt.  How long does it take to have a Save to HTML option which calls the Application API internally.  Uploading to SKYDRIVE is just ridiculous. 

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!
    Friday, November 04, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Agreed - really a goofy design misstep.. I'm a developer, so I CAN do it. I just have better things to do.
    • Edited by DBC_Austin Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Funny just today I was reading the Server 2012 documentation.  Guess what they're pushing?  "Cloud"  and Guess what POWERPOINT and ONENOTE do really well?  They save changes to the CLOUD!  Hmmmmm.... I wonder if there's any connections here?

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:17 PM
  • This process worked very well.  Thank you!
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:53 PM
    • Press ALT+F11.
    • Press CTRL+G.
    • In the Immediate window type the following: ActivePresentation.SaveAs "c:\test.htm", ppSaveAsHTML, msoFalse
    • Press ENTER.

I got this dialog box: Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications:

Run-Time error: '-2147467259 (80004005)';

Presentation (unknown member) : PowerPoint was unable to open or save this document. Please ensure that you have access privileges to read or write the document and that it is not encrypted.

How can I change the access privileges of this powerpoint document?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:37 PM
  • This sort of works but it completely screws up the formatting.  In other words, it's worse than useless.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Easy.  Get Wordperfect Presentations. X6.  Open the file.  Save as HTML.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 7:36 AM
  • I am a professional geek and still this change does not make any sense. Get it together Microsoft, and put this option back in the Save As menu where it belongs!
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:37 PM
  • When I go through this process, Powerpoint 2010 runs out of memory and the output isn't created.  My Powerpoint 2007 formatted document is ~375MB, has ~750 slides and use a lot of full page graphics in the Master Layouts.  In Powerpoint 2007, several "Save as HTML" options were available.  I see no way to access those options with this PP 2010 hack approach.

Sunday, October 07, 2012 12:05 AM
  • You've probably figured it out by now but for anyone else that may have this issue: and this holds true for Win7 more than XP but the root of C: is somewhat protected and some applications have trouble writing files directly to c:\ without some sort of enhanced permission.

Easiest thing is to create a c:\temp directory and write all temporary files there since it's easy to remember (past c:\users\<username>\desktop\etc\etc\etc).

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:51 AM
  • Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:11 PM
  • boring thing to check, but i'm pretty sure I got the same error message when I had a space before typing in the 

ActivePresentation....etc.

Make sure there's no deadspace at the start of the line, sorry if you've already tried this.

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Hi Jennifer Zhan

ALT+F11 opens the VB Application but When I press CTRL + G, no window is showing up. Can you please tell me why this is happening for me. So this didnt solve my issue. 

Thanks 

Tesfaye

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Using the Save to the Web still doesn't give you the option of saving it as an html file. You get the same file types as the normal Save As. And the live video feed from the Broadcast Slideshow is fine if you're doing a presentation in real time (kinda like using webex), but is not a solution for having a copy of the presentation available for someone to view on their own time.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 8:35 PM
  • Worked like a charm!

Still, incomprehensible that Microsoft removed this feature in Powerpoint 2010 while in my mind superior versions should be "upgraded" with new features and not "downgraded", and or have options removed.

Not everyone is trained in Visual Basic, I myself am an IT proffessional and hardly ever use it.

I'm not a developper though I would like to be, but in my country there are no decent VB courses available ad affordable prices which my boss is not willing to pay for.

Microsoft is imo scoring bad points with these kind of bad decisions regarding their products, and surely losing clients, especially now that they pre-install office 365 on new computers, clients feel "lured in" (after being able to use the product for a month) to pay 100€/year just to be able to use it.

So it is googling for solutions for the more average users and , not always, getting the solution they want.

Friday, April 11, 2014 5:51 AM