none
Outlook 2010 desktop alert not working

Question

• Hi,

1. I configured a rule to move some mails to another folder and checked "show desktop alert" in the rule configuration. Despite this, alert never shows.

2. Sound alert for e-mails arriving at inbox (no rules here) does not always play. Tried many combos here but didn't find any pattern explaining this behaviour.

These two things were working nice in Outlook 2003 but now I go unnoticed on many e-mails.

Regards.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have following scenarios for using Outlook, Desktop alerts do not appear.

- Desktop Alert notifications don’t appear during the initial synchronization of an email account or when you request a manual Send/Receive.

- Also, if you are using message rules and a new message is moved out of the default account Inbox, you might not receive a Desktop Alert notification, or the Desktop Alert notification might not appear for the full duration of time that you configured in the settings for the Desktop Alerts feature.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What type of email account is configured in Outlook?
    Notifications don't work well with IMAP and Outlook Connector accounts.

Did you running Outlook as a Terminal Services application?
    If yes, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983063

Does the registry key "Opacity" in following location? 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\DesktopAlerts

DWORD: Opacity
    Value(Hexadecimal): cd  (Decimal): 205

Best regards.

William Zhou

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank for your answer.

The account is BPOS (hosted Exchange).

I run Outlook locally.

I do have the reg key with the decimal value 225

Desktop alert do work on messages that arrive to the main Inbox (those that do not match any rule), but not in the case I mentioned.

Regards.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Hi,

If you have following scenarios for using Outlook, Desktop alerts do not appear.

- Desktop Alert notifications don’t appear during the initial synchronization of an email account or when you request a manual Send/Receive.

- Also, if you are using message rules and a new message is moved out of the default account Inbox, you might not receive a Desktop Alert notification, or the Desktop Alert notification might not appear for the full duration of time that you configured in the settings for the Desktop Alerts feature.

Best regards.

William Zhou

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

I gues I'm on the second case. The rule does move the message to another folder.

But if so, what is the rule option "show desktop alert" used for? Because is not working at all.

Regards.

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to create a subfolder under Inbox as a workaround.

Best Regards.

William Zhou

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just tested this way and still not working :-(

Regards.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Any other advice on this?

Regards.

Monday, May 07, 2012 7:00 AM