none
Format Painter in Word 2010 does not hold all formatting for text, anything change?

Question

• I have been using the Format Painter tool since 2003. In the 2010 version in Word, I can duplicate what seems to be a bug. I have a line of text that a few words are blue and bolded. I wanted to copy that formating, so I click in the word (or select a portion of text -- works the same either way) and then paint over the text to be modified. The text I had selected was Calibri, bold and blue, my resulting text was Times, and blue...it lost the bolding and the font somehow. Has the tool changed in 2010?
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you paste the text in Word 2010, you can see the Paste Options:

screen1a.jpg

If you want to keep the original format, you can choose Keep Source formatting.

If you choose Keep Text Only, the format will be changed to the default format in Word.

If you are unable to see the Paste Options, it might be disabled. We can re-enable it. Here you can see how to disable and re-enable the Paste Options in Word 2010:

http://www.word-2010.com/disable-paste-options-in-word-2010/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:56 AM
  • It works properly here in Word 2010, applying both the font, the bolding and the font color.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Judi Geistlinger" wrote in message news:8ac8c7b1-6586-4248-b686-f8cb58dd55ba@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have been using the Format Painter tool since 2003. In the 2010 version in Word, I can duplicate what seems to be a bug. I have a line of text that a few words are blue and bolded. I wanted to copy that formating, so I click in the word (or select a portion of text -- works the same either way) and then paint over the text to be modified. The text I had selected was Calibri, bold and blue, my resulting text was Times, and blue...it lost the bolding and the font somehow. Has the tool changed in 2010?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:42 AM
  • When I use format painter to pick up formatting from another place it acts flaky in Word 2010. Sometimes it picks up Times Roman when none of the text involved is Times Roman (I was using Calibri exclusively). I wanted to pick up a color with bolding and when painting over a word or phrase sometimes it appeared non-bolded and Times Roman, but still blue.

I was not using Pasting at all.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:58 PM
  • When I use format painter to pick up formatting from another place it acts flaky in Word 2010. Sometimes it picks up Times Roman when none of the text involved is Times Roman (I was using Calibri exclusively). I wanted to pick up a color with bolding and when painting over a word or phrase sometimes it appeared non-bolded and Times Roman, but still blue.

I was not using Pasting at all.

Have you used the Paste Options?
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:50 AM
  • I'm afraid you aren't understanding the problem at all, Sally. The Format Painter has some superficial similarity to cutting and pasting but is a different feature altogether.

Like Doug, I am unable to see any problem. Can you give precise details of how to replicate this please, Judi, starting from a blank document?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I have the same problem

In Word 2010 using Format Painter applies theme font instead pointer source font. When applied second time to already "themed" text, it applies the source formatting. I just pissesed off of doing this thing all the time. MS...

A

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:54 PM
  • As I asked Judi, can you please give precise instructions to enable someone else to replicate this result.

If the source font is set to a theme font, then the target will be set to a theme font. This does produce some, perhaps initially, unexpected results but is entirely consistent with the way Themes work. I actually quite like the idea that a second format paint would apply absolute formats over the initially painted theme, but am totally unab;le to see this behaviour.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:29 PM
  • To all so-called MVPs: The most frustrating thing to see is : It works fine for me! with no shred of advice or simply failing to understand.

Maybe you could just start with instructions on how to do it properely from the beginning instead of not solving the user's problem?

I have the same problem Judi has.

No I did not start from a blank page but an old WORD 2002 document which I saved as a WORD 2010 document. Is there some more complicated way of doing it? Most likely there is.

Then I formatted some text -not the whole page- as bolded, underlined, blue and in Arial font with a 12 point font size. I wanted to add one letter a the beginning of the string to conform to this format. I've tried different combinations but alwars get a non-bolded, underlined, blue Times New Roman character.

Once it worked right, but it sure is a mystery on how to duplicate doing it right.

Can one of you MVP's merely desctibe how it is done with more detail?

Surely, since it is so, so, so easy to do it the wrong way, you must have some idea of how a preson may make a mistake and actually help them find a solution?

DOUG: WHAT DOES THIS MEAN: HOPE WHAT HELPS? THANKS A LOT.

It works properly here in Word 2010, applying both the font, the bolding and the font color.

-- Hope this helps. WHAT? HOPE WHAT HELPS?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Judi Geistlinger" wrote in message news:8ac8c7b1-6586-4248-b686-f8cb58dd55ba@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Nobody is denying that here is a problem but it isn't one that either Doug or I can see, or one that I have enough detail about to be able to help. I have asked others for more detail, which they have declined to give; now I ask you: can you please give precise instructions to enable someone else to replicate this result. Saying "I have the same problem" is not informative. 

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I'm having the same issue on my work laptop. It just happened to me again a few minutes ago while copying a document title, pasting it in a summary, then using Format Painter to update the pasted text to match the summary.

Here's the step by step:

1. Copied the title of a section - Arial 12pt Bold
    2. Pasted to a different area in the summary
    3. Highlighted text from a prior item in the summary - Arial 11pt Plain 
    4. Hit Format Painter button
    5. Highlighted Pasted Text - Font becomes Times New Roman 11pt Plain

If I then do steps 3-5 again, the font updates correctly to Arial 11pt Plain.

I think I just figured out what is happening. The first time you use the Format Painter, for whatever reason, it updates the using Font from the Font Style. However, the Font Size seems to adjust properly. 

I tested this by changing the Font Style from Normal to Heading 2. When I used the Format Painter it pulled in the Font I had set for Heading 2. 

Hope this helps get closer to a solution.

Thanks.
    Rich 

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I have the exact same problem. I'm finishing a document someone else created with wacky fonts/sizes/underlines/bullets/hanging indents etc all over the place.  I selected all, made it Arial size 11, set the line spacing to 1.5 and removed any underlines. I went into paragraph and set line spacing before and after to 0, and removed spaces between paragraphs of the same style.

As an example of random behaviour here is what just happened.

One piece of text is arial, 11, with a checkbox bullet.  When I look at its style while it is highlighted, there is no style selected.  

There is another piece of text that is arial, 11, bold, with a round bullet and a different tab indent of about .5 to the left.  When highlighted it says it is Normal style. 

I use format painter to bring the top style down to the bottom one, and the bottom one changes to Times New Roman, 10, with the checkbox bullet and the new tab indent. 

I figured out that I need to Modify Normal style to arial, 11, line spacing 1.5, no hanging indent etc etc . . .  I think format painter should apply a style, period. Forget the 'Normal' style of the document, because when I'm matching format styles, I want that style, not whatever the Normal style is set to. 

Whoever writes these programs doesn't think about the user at all.  They just write all sorts of complex code that is totally useless to every person that is not a complete expert in the stupid idiosyncrasies of that program. 

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:57 PM
  • "shevaun" wrote in message
    news:590b68c0-acbf-45af-ac75-7feb28c27b9b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    I have the exact same problem. I'm finishing a document someone else created with wacky fonts/sizes/underlines/bullets/hanging indents etc all over the place.  I selected all, made it Arial size 11, set the line spacing to 1.5 and removed any underlines. I went into paragraph and set line spacing before and after to 0, and removed spaces between paragraphs of the same style.

As an example of random behaviour here is what just happened.

One piece of text is arial, 11, with a checkbox bullet.  When I look at its style while it is highlighted, there is no style selected.

[---]

I use format painter to bring the top style down to the bottom one, and the bottom one changes to Times New Roman, 10, with the checkbox bullet and the new tab indent.

[---] I think format painter should apply a style, period. Forget the 'Normal' style of the document, because when I'm matching format styles, I want that style, not whatever the Normal style is set to.

The format painter only “records” paragraph formatting (including paragraph styles) if you select a whole paragraph. If you select multiple paragraphs, there might be conflicting settings, and the format painter can’t store all of the formatting.

When you are reformatting a whole document, the format painter is a less useful tool. Instead, do the following: Make a printout of the document for reference. Then apply Normal style to all paragraphs (Ctrl+Shift+N) and manually apply the appropriate style to headings, lists, and any other paragraphs of your document. Modify styles to suit your needs.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Well I have run into the same problem and it is pretty quirky. If I save the document showing the broken Format Painter behaviour in compatibility mode, the Format Painter then works properly.

Another piece of information is that the problem seems to happen with old 2003 files that are then opened in 2010 and saved in the docx format instead of compatibility mode.

It's a real bug, I am surprised it has not been addressed.

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:35 PM
  • You have to provide more details. Are you selecting a whole paragraph or part of text? Which formatting isn't correctly copied?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:09 PM