none
Excel 2010 randomly crashes multiple times for several users; Event ID 1000 Generic Error

Question

• I support about 100 users in a corporate environnent who do heavy Excel use for finances and inventory reporting. We have a corporate AD domain setup with 32 bit OS running either Win 7 SP1 or Win XP SP3 with 4 gb ram and dual core processors on Dell Lattitude laptops all running Microsoft Office 2010 Pro.

4 users have been reporting Excel crashes, 3 on Win XP and 1 on Win 7. (2 also are reporting Outlook crashes, but I believe these are due to corrupt pst and are not related, but wanted to mention them.) The crashes occur at random times and in random xlsx docs which are stored both locally and via a network drive. The errors can be reproduced under both scenarios. We updated our old xls docs to xlsx last year and 96 users have 0 issues with our Excel files. 

I do not see a pattern in actions, i.e. opening, closing, printing. The Windows 7 machine records an Application error event id 1000 and fully posted below. The Win XP machines have no errors recorded in the event viewer. So my assumption on if we can narrow down the issue on the Win 7 computer it might shed some light on the elusive errors on XP.

Addons are mostly nonexistent with the exception of a format cleaner. We are currently testing the safe mode approach, but only 2 users use this or any addon.

Printer drivers are Ricoh, we deleted outdated drivers and for kicks added the xps viewer as default.

I repaired/reinstalled Office on all machines having issues.

Log of Win 7 machine.

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.6117.5003, time stamp: 0x4f622ef8

Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.6117.5003, time stamp: 0x4f622ef8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0004df60

Faulting process id: 0x4c0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd73e55f7b8e25

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Report Id: ff48b78d-dfde-11e1-8438-d0df9ab1a990

What is a good next step?

Thursday, August 09, 2012 4:55 PM

Answers

All replies