locked
stsadm restore fails to restore 2nd level sites

    Question

  • This is a continuation of my thread "how to restore a stsadm backup"

    I was able to get the restore to work, however the result is incomplete.

    The old server has the following:

    main site at servername/default.aspx

    subsite at servername/subsite1/default.aspx

    subsite at servername/subsite2/default.aspx

    subsite at servername/subsite3/default.aspx

    After the stsadm restore these sites exists according to site settings but when I click on them I get "unexpected error"

     

    If there some, unknown to me, step I need to make to get these subsites visible?

    Monday, January 09, 2012 5:02 PM

Answers

  • When the error occurs, check the Application event log in the event viewer on the server to see if more details are displayed there, as well as in the ULS logs at the time of the error. In addition, you may be able to get the error to display in the browser by using the following article to change callstack to TRUE in the web.config for the problem web application: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231550.aspx

    I would also advise checking in Central Administration that the account you are trying to access these sites with is a Site Collection Administrator, or has been given grant permissions for that web app to the Policy for Web Application in Central Admin. These two options will just help to make sure you are not encountering some type of permissions problem.


    Regards,

    Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, February 03, 2012 10:27 PM

All replies

  • Read somewhere that subsites cannot be restored with restore (WTF Microsoft, put it in the documentation maybe?) but that I need to use export and import.

     

    Created the export file and upon importing it I get an error message which upon further research means that the web template cannot be found.

     

    OK, so I deploy the website template.

    New error message "sharepointproduct version attribute is not declared

     

    Wasted hours and hours and hours to get sharepoint data from one server to the other and there is no solution in sight.

     

    ???

    Monday, January 09, 2012 8:10 PM
  • How big is the site collection?

    If you're talking about two different servers entirely, the database detatch would appear to be quicker.


    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:57 PM
  • single server, really minute applications.

     

    Why does none of the other stuff work?

    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

    1. You need to make sure two servers have the same version of sharepoint installed.

    2. You can use export and import stsadm commands to move the whole site collection.

              1.  You need to use site administrator account to run the import and export operations.

              2. Before you import the sites, please create a new top site or a new sub site in existed top site with the same site template with the site to be imported, and use this site /sub site path as the URL parameter in the IMPORTE command line.

        3.  Make sure you have deployed the same features and customizations to the destination site (like deploying the custom master page and so forth.

       

        4.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262465.aspx     

    Regards,

     Seven

     

    Friday, February 03, 2012 7:32 AM
  • When the error occurs, check the Application event log in the event viewer on the server to see if more details are displayed there, as well as in the ULS logs at the time of the error. In addition, you may be able to get the error to display in the browser by using the following article to change callstack to TRUE in the web.config for the problem web application: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231550.aspx

    I would also advise checking in Central Administration that the account you are trying to access these sites with is a Site Collection Administrator, or has been given grant permissions for that web app to the Policy for Web Application in Central Admin. These two options will just help to make sure you are not encountering some type of permissions problem.


    Regards,

    Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, February 03, 2012 10:27 PM
  • I broke down and used a support incident. With a skilled MS Support Engineer we took an extra 6 hours to get my data from server a to server b.

    Thanks all for your help.

    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:35 AM