none
Cannot uninstall Office 2013 Preview

Question

• Firstly the standard route via Control Panel would not work – it just sat there for ages preparing to uninstall, but doing absolutely nothing as verified in Task Manager. So I looked at the recommended manual uninstall procedure (support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501) and the first step there is to navigate to %windir%\Installer and then find all programs in the ‘Microsoft Office <product name> 2013’ family, right-click and select ‘Uninstall’. Again (choosing MS Access as the first product to manually uninstall), the manual uninstall also sits there doing nothing just like the Control Panel uninstall did earlier. Any help with this would be much appreciated - I really don't want to be stuck on MSO 2013 Preview..
    Friday, November 09, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• When you are unistalling through control panel is the uninstall freezing your computer or is the process unresponsive? You can check this in the task manager.

Mark D. Albin IT Master Services www.itmasterservice.com (775) 229-4254

Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Thanks for responding Mark  The uninstall task is unresponsive in both cases, i.e. from Control Panel and when manually uninstalling. This is evidenced in Task Manager, which shows zero activity across all monitored resources.
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:59 PM
  • How to uninstall or remove the Microsoft Office 2013 Preview suites. Go to the below link and expand the following "Manual steps to remove Microsoft Office 2013 or Office 365 Click-to-Run installations" and follow the instructions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Mark D. Albin IT Master Services www.itmasterservice.com (775) 229-4254

Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Mark but if you check my original post I have already tried that...
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:31 PM
  • I have the same problem and I'm ready to chuck the dang computer out the window.  

When Office 365 ProPlus was working, at first I thought it was great.  Then there were conflicts with a previously installed version of SharePoint online 2010 (the system got the two confused, and seemed to give me a combined version of office online).

Next up, the downloaded versions of Office stopped functioning.  So then I tried to uninstall, and that's what brought me here.

It appears to be totally impossible to uninstall this software!!

Paul... did you ever get your version uninstalled?  Would love to hear how you (hopefully) solved the problem.

Thanks, ken

Saturday, January 05, 2013 9:33 PM
  • It appears to be totally impossible to uninstall this software!!

The quote from TheHoaryHound above seems spot on!!!

The installation of the paid Office 365 Home Premium version on my first PC, an almost Dell new 64 bit Windows 8 desktop system, worked fine.  Yes, this install saw my preview version of Office 2013 already there but it successfully removed it during a 3 1/2 hour process.  

Office 2010 is still installed on the 1st PC too and both versions are working (although the paid version Office 365 has some obvious bugs).  But the 2nd PC has been real grief.  That's an HP laptop running Windows 7 Pro.  I just can't seem to rid myself of the Office 2013 Preview no happen what I do.  Here is what I've tried so far:

1.  Ran MS Fix It twice and rebooted each time afterwords.

2. Ran the Office 365 paid install so many times I've lost count.  I thing the number is 5 because the first time it just died after 6+ hours.  (5 failed installs = 1 failed install + 2 Office 365 installs after running the preview uninstall "Fix It" + 2 Office 365 installs after uninstalls via the control panel.)  

Granted the failure was probably due in part to high demand combined with scheduled maintenance done by my ISP who'd sent me a "mea culpa" email saying I should expect problems.  

Each time rebooting of course.  Microsoft THINKS it's installed because they've decremented the install counters to 3 installs remaining.  However, when I click on a Office 365 app (any, all apps) the preview is back yet again.  (Sorry about the small type that's either a IE10 thing or a website thing.  I didn't change fonts.

3. Ran manual uninstall of the Preview, also twice (and rebooted two more times.)  I think that totals 5 Office 365 failed install attempts.  (What is that quote about trying the same thing twice and expecting different results?)

4.  I also have Office 2010 installed on the the laptop PC I'm having trouble with and I really need to keep it there as there's some legacy MS Access stuff I have to support.

Does anybody have a good solution other than Fix It or the control panel that does not include uninstalling Office 2010?

I'm completely baffled... re-installing Windows is not an option.

• Edited by Rodger Dodger Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Rodger Dodger Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rodger Dodger Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Rodger Dodger Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rodger Dodger Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:47 AM
  • For me, the "Fix It" executable from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501 worked just fine. I tried this after the normal repair/uninstall procedure was stuck for 1 day at step 2, doing nothing.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:57 AM