none
“This rule has a condition that the server cannot process. The action ‘stop processing more rules’ will prevent all remaining server rules from being carried out.

Question

• Hello,
    I've searched both the forum(s) and Google, but haven't been able to come up with an answer to this warning message.

Have an end user who upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007. Running Windows XP w/ SP3.  When she tries to delete a rule, she's getting an:  "“This rule has a condition that the server cannot process. The action ‘stop processing more rules’ will prevent all remaining server rules from being carried out." warning message, with options to click yes/no.

The rule is a server side rule (running Exchange 2003), and it's a basic rule that routes incoming emails from a specific address to a specific folder.

Might someone have any info on what, if anything this warning message implies?

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I feel this could be an corrupt rule due to which user is unable to delete the rule.

Does the user have client rules as well? If yes, is she able to delete those rules?

How are these rules arranged server side rule first or client side rules?

Try to arrange rules in Outlook so that all the server-side message rules are processed before client-only message rules, restart Outlook and try to delete the rule.

This article is not specific to your issue but worth going through it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892240

BTW did /cleanrules switch fixed the issue? If not, you can follow below instruction to delete the rules by using MFCMAPI. Please make sure to export the rules from Outlook before deleting all it.

1) List server rules first and client rules second

2) Exported the rules (Tools\Rules and Alerts\ Options\Export Rules)

3) Run Outlook /Cleanrules

4) Use MFCMAPI as follows per KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924297

a.       Close Outlook and Run MFCMapi.exe

b.      Select Session -> Logon and Display stores

c.       Select the outlook profile for the concern user and click OK

d.      Select Mailbox - right click Open Store

e.      Expand Root Container

f.        Expand Top of Information Store

g.       Right click Inbox and select "Open Associated contents Table"

h.      Under "Message Class" column delete all the entries with display name "IPM.Rule.Message" and “IPM.ExtendedRule.Message”

i.         Close MFCMAPI and re-open Outlook

Best Regards,

Rashid Aga [MSFT]

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Export the rules and run a switch “Outlook /cleanrules” without quotes.

See if it clears the rules. Create new rule and test the behavior.

Best Regards,

Rashid Aga [MSFT]

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Thanks Rashid,

I'd actually fwd that info already to the EU, but appreciate the reply, as it's good to know I was in the ballpark at least.

Might you be able to provide any background info on what/why that message appears?  Is it just a corrupt rule, or some sort of conflict etc....?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Hello,

I feel this could be an corrupt rule due to which user is unable to delete the rule.

Does the user have client rules as well? If yes, is she able to delete those rules?

How are these rules arranged server side rule first or client side rules?

Try to arrange rules in Outlook so that all the server-side message rules are processed before client-only message rules, restart Outlook and try to delete the rule.

This article is not specific to your issue but worth going through it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892240

BTW did /cleanrules switch fixed the issue? If not, you can follow below instruction to delete the rules by using MFCMAPI. Please make sure to export the rules from Outlook before deleting all it.

1) List server rules first and client rules second

2) Exported the rules (Tools\Rules and Alerts\ Options\Export Rules)

3) Run Outlook /Cleanrules

4) Use MFCMAPI as follows per KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924297

a.       Close Outlook and Run MFCMapi.exe

b.      Select Session -> Logon and Display stores

c.       Select the outlook profile for the concern user and click OK

d.      Select Mailbox - right click Open Store

e.      Expand Root Container

f.        Expand Top of Information Store

g.       Right click Inbox and select "Open Associated contents Table"

h.      Under "Message Class" column delete all the entries with display name "IPM.Rule.Message" and “IPM.ExtendedRule.Message”

i.         Close MFCMAPI and re-open Outlook

Best Regards,

Rashid Aga [MSFT]

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Alternate simpler solution:

Look for rules that apply to outgoing messages, and check to see if they have the "stop processing more rules" item set on.  This will cause the named error to be thrown.

Turn off the "stop processing..." item in each of those rules and close the rule editor.  The message will probably go away.  If it doesn't, then search for other rules in which the Outlook rule "system" treats the "stop processing more rules" item out of order.

"System" with quotes used as an ironic mock. "Bag of bad jokes" is more appropriate.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:11 PM