none
Centrally add license key to Office 2010 client

Question

• Hi,

We have deployed office 2010 at a new client, we will be deploying a KMS server very shortly. What I need to know is once the licese key has arrived is it possible for me to add to all the clients (currently running on a trial) centrall i.e through something similar to group policy and then activate?

Many thanks

Tim

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

Thank you for using Office 2010 Setup and Deployment forum. 

If you use KMS to activate Office, you do not need to add the KMS key to the clients.

By default, a KMS client key is already pre-installed on volume editions of client software. That’s why end users don't need to enter a product key when installing Office Professional Plus, for example. A great aspect of KMS is that once you have a KMS host set up, KMS clients will automatically look for the host on DNS and activate themselves against it. Only one KMS host is needed to activate Windows and all Office client products. Just enter one KMS host key and activate, and the KMS host can activate not just Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, but also Visio, Project, and InfoPath.

FYI:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-workspace-help/activate-volume-editions-of-microsoft-office-HA010381834.aspx

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, July 26, 2010 5:02 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:40 AM