none
Unable to "Change an Outlook Data File (.pst) Display Name"

Question

• Outlook 2010 Help > "Change an Outlook Data File (.pst) display name" provides instructions about how to change display names. 

Following those instructions, I am able to find the program location ( File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files > Settings ), but not able to change the display name. 

Please explain.  
    • Edited by mebe2be Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:01 AM

All replies

• You cannot change the name from 'Personal Folders'. I agree it would be useful if you could, especially if you have a few sets of personal folders for holding for example archives of different years etc.
    I.T. Manager International House London
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:19 AM
  • You used to be able to do it in previous versions of Outlook and if you upgrade to 2010 you now find you can't change it any more.
    A friend who used to share their computer with a partner had edited the top folder to show both their names, upgraded to Office 2010 Beta and then got divorced. She is now constantly reminded of her ex-partner's name. The only fix would seem to be to create a new PST file and then import all the folders and items but that loses data such as custom views and created dates.

Simon Jones
    PC Pro Magazine
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:47 AM
  • If the user (and/or administrator) can't later change the Data File display name, Outlook should provide far better options (control) during initial set up. As well, 2010 Help should actually help, rather than provide instructions that can't be implemented.

P.S. In 2007, we had single Data Folder per user. When 2010 installed, program seemed to decide we needed a different Data File for each email account. Ugh!  

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Hi Simon:
    You wrote, "The only fix would seem to be to create a new PST file and then import all the folders and items..."

Thank you for suggesting a work around. . 

I was able to create a new account. will investigate that technique. --mbm
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Try renaming the pst file itself.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:10 PM
  • @mebe2be..

..the instructions shown in the Outlook 2010 Help lead you to the same location that, in previous versions of Outlook, enabled you to change the display name shown for a PST file.  In Outlook 2010, however, the name field appears locked.

Like you, I have unfortunately been unable to find a way to change the Display Name of PST files on my computer now that I have installed the Outlook 2010 Beta.

I can only hope that Microsoft spot this issue and resolve it before the full release of Outlook 2010.  Given the quality of the final release of Vista, and the lack of any official responses to this thread in over a month,I am concerned that this may go unresolved.

KP

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:54 AM
  • I'm pretty sure it was reported and closed as fixed in a later build, but I will double check.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:12 PM
  • any news on this?

I would like to be able to change the name of the email directorys too?

thanks

Nathan
    http://www.RascalsCastles.co.uk

• Proposed as answer by CARE42 Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:53 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Unfortunately, there appears to be only 1 way to do this. [At least with POP3 / Web Email Accounts] 

1  Copy the .pst file [which makes (name)2.pst] 
    2. Rename the copied pst file to what ever you like. 
    3. Delete the old data.pst and email account. 
    4. Create a new account, but use the newly renamed .pst file.  

This is what I did.  I also recommmend this to clients who want to re-name email accounts.  I personally manage 7 different email accounts including sales and tech support.  I like Outlooks contacts. But now with Outlook 2010 [beta], I hate that I left dream mail and live mail.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:05 AM
  • If you only want to rename the name that gets displayed inside of Outlook (mine was originally my email address and I wanted it to be my name - like is displayed in an Exchange environment), you can do the following:

File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files (tab) > Settings

Then just change the Name to whatever you'd like and click OK.  The data file will remain the email address.pst, but the name displayed in Outlook will be fixed.

• Proposed as answer by martianzrus Monday, January 13, 2014 12:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:57 PM
  • This has been fixed in the RTM. It was definitely a problem in the Beta.
    Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:50 PM