none
Read-Only Attachments from Outlook 2010

Question

• Hi,

We've installed Office 2010 beta (Both 32 and 64 bit) and we're having real difficulty in allowing users to edit existing attachments.

We've disabled the protected view settings in all of the products, but when the user double clicks a message (So its not in the reading pane) with an attachment and then opens the attachment, the office application opens it in "Read-Only" mode.

Please, please help

ps - We have noticed that the files are always saved in the outlook security folder as read-only

QR
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:58 PM

All replies

• Best practice is to never edit an attachment by opening it from with mail.  Save it to your hard drive first and edit that.
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Please explain why all those extra steps are "Best Practice"...  it is certainly not more productive.

• Proposed as answer by Rob Kozzie Monday, July 12, 2010 12:38 AM
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Because someone decided it was - it avoids the problem of saving files in the securetemp folder. It was discussed in a meeting with microsoft - 2 or 3 admins thought this new behavior was the best thing since sliced bread. I was the only one who argued for the old behavior. :(  I was the only one who opened attachments, edited them and then saved the changes back to the message.

Its my expectation that they will see how it flies with the general release and if its not a popular change, a future update will undo it. AFAIK, there is not a reg hack to "fix" it.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Please Please PLEASE tell me the braniacs that thought taking this away from users have changed thier minds??

As creatures of habit...it will be almost IMPOSSIBLE to have users understand the concept of save as and reattach to a new email.

Like the user above said...how productive is that!?!...

Id like to see those Engineers that thought this was a good idea try to sell that to my CEO CFO CIO...etc..

We went with Office 2010 because it was going to get rid of that annoying prompt to "log in" to outlook 2007 ever since we upgraded to Exchange 2010.

While im on the subject of complaining...Whos the brainchild behind the CLI for EXCHANGE 2007/10??..

Last I checked...it was Microsoft WINDOWS....not Microsoft CLI..

Now what took no time in say, creating pst files with exmerge, is a nitemare when its several users at once....

Sigh....Bill Gates leaving was the worst thing to happen to MS...At least he understood (from the beginning) that ease of use was KEY!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Can you give me the reasons its considered best practive though?. Is there danger of messing up the data file on the Excahnge Server or some other catastrophic problem?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Can you give me the reasons its considered best practive though?. Is there danger of messing up the data file on the Excahnge Server or some other catastrophic problem?

It has nothing to do with exchange- it has everything to do with users. It's best practice because users save the attachment after editing and then can't find it in securetemp. Outlook 2010 deletes the securetemp folder when it closes, so attachments edited and only saved there will not be recoverable once outlook is closed.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/securetemp.htm explains how securetemp works. (I need to update it for 2010 though). If users keep the message open or don't change folders in outlook all is well - but they open the attachment and close the message, breaking the link to the attachment, so saving it doesn't update the message.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:21 PM
  • When I asked my contact about this "feature" he asked me this:

<quote>

How did people open an attachment, edit it, and send their changes back, in 2007 using the “it saves it back to the Outlook mail” behavior that we stopped doing in 2010?  Do they copy the attachment off the mail they saved it to?  Forward the mail and add back the recipients?  Something else?  Save As to the file system anyway to attach it?

</quote>

Basically, why did people use this feature? Post your usage in this thread and i will pass the url to my contact.

In my case, i don't reply or forward it (usually) - I make edits to my copy and keep it in Outlook (Echange mailbox) because its easier to find and is available everywhere - I use 3 computers and even with network drives, groove, sharepoint and skydrive, files on my hard drive tend to get lost or duplicated so many times that i don't know which one is the right one.

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:47 AM
  • One more thing - would some other method be acceptable - say saving it to a draft copy rather than overwriting the original?

I'm taking a poll about this feature (http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?68554) and one suggestion offered by a user is

<quote> you open the office attachement, make your changes, click on the "send changed document back to sender" button, which opens a reply email with the changed file attached. </quote>

My contact said they are considering something along this line. (The poll confirms why it was removed - responses are pretty even (at last check) between loving it and losing edits. Anything that causes a large number of users to lose data is not a good feature.)

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi Diane,

I can understand why it's not best practice, but the reality is that in any decent sized organisation staff members send an email requesting feedback on a document and the recipient opens the document from the email, edits with tracking, saves back to the email and replies with changes.

We are now in a situation where our Office 2010 deployment is potentially going to be put on hold because we've just discovered that this fundamental feature doesn't work.  I'm sure Microsoft will recommend we switch to Sharepoint for collaboration but unless they're also going to make the product free and provide professional services (also for free) to configure it then we'd rather just use the old version of Office.

I'm truly unsure where to go from here but in either case we either delay deployment (making management unhappy) or we deploy as is (making ALL staff unhappy, as well as management).

J

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:33 AM
  • For what it's worth, we've had people lose documents in the past and in most cases have been able to recover them from the TEMP folder.  Even if we can't recover from the TEMP folder I still believe it's worth the risk... essentially you're causing much more down-time in terms of lost productivity (it's small, but it affects everything) compared to the occassional situation where someone loses their minor edits.

J

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:36 AM
  • try forwarding the email back to the person and then double click the attachment to edit it before you click send. It seems to work doing it this way

• Proposed as answer by KazzyJ Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:08 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I reverse the steps -- edit, then forward -- but I've been using that method for years. Having to save every attachment before editing would cut my productivity, so I'm sticking with OL2007 for now. 
    Friday, August 06, 2010 2:37 PM
  • This change in the way Outlook 2010 handles editing of documents is very frustrating as an end user.  As a user of the MS Application, the new way will decrease my productivity and potentially leave behind on my PC documents that I do not want there.  So not only do I have to temporarily save the document to edit it, then attach it to an email, I now also have to go back and delete the document.  So much for being more efficient.  Staying with Outlook 2007 looks better to me.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Another simple annoyance, you receive an email with image attachments and double click the attachments which then opens them in Windows Photo Viewer. If the images are not in the orientation you would like to view them, you are unable to rotate them as they are read only!

We work with tons of images everyday, going through the mission of saving them to a temp location, opening them, rotating them to view them is a complete waste of time.

Another "work around" is in windows photo viewer you have to click on file, properties, general then clear the read only check and click Ok for each image. But, why do we constantly have to find work arounds to continue to be productive?!

• Proposed as answer by timm88 Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:27 AM
  • The solution in Outlook 2010 is to go into Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Attachment Handling.  Check Turn off Attachment Preview.

Similar problem occurs in previous versions of Outlook.  In those,  you have to disable the reading pane

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Trust center has nothing to do with the change in behavior. Attachments are always read only.

One guy came up with a solution for Excel and Word docs - http://www.outlookforums.com/content.php?142-Do-you-edit-and-save-attachment-back-to-an-email-message - this won't help with the images though.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:50 PM
  • The trust center worked for me - but a different checkbox than what timm suggested above:

File->options->trust center->Trust center settings->Attachment handling->

select: "Add properties to attachments to enable reply with changes"

enjoy,

YP

YP
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:03 PM
  • I'm trying to open a .xlsx file I've just created and emailed to myself.

It opens as Read-Only.

I've disabled all the ticks under excel's Trust Centre > Protected View and also in Outlook's I've ticked both the 'Add properties to attachments to enable reply with changes' and turned off the preview.

It still opens as Read-Only.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:54 AM
  • I'm trying to open a .xlsx file I've just created and emailed to myself.

It opens as Read-Only.

I've disabled all the ticks under excel's Trust Centre > Protected View and also in Outlook's I've ticked both the 'Add properties to attachments to enable reply with changes' and turned off the preview.

It still opens as Read-Only.

Those settings have nothing to do with this problem. It's a change in behavior in Outlook. The only way to edit attachments and save the changes back to the message is by entering edit mode on the email message or using the VBA mentioned earlier.  

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:01 AM
  • If I open the email, then I open the attachment, it opens fine.

If I try to open the attachment direct from the preview, then it opens as read-only.

Where is this 'edit mode'?

And I really shouldn't have to edit a Microsoft Application using VBA to change something from read-only to not.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:28 AM
  • If I open the email, then I open the attachment, it opens fine.

If I try to open the attachment direct from the preview, then it opens as read-only.

Where is this 'edit mode'?

And I really shouldn't have to edit a Microsoft Application using VBA to change something from read-only to not.

Attachments opened from preview are ALWAYS read only. This did not change in Outlook 2010. In earlier versions, you could open a message, open the attachment, edit the attachment and save the changes back to the message. This works in Outlook 2010 only if you go into Edit mode.  (Move section of Home ribbon - Actions button)  

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Also note, when you open and edit attachments, you are working with a temp copy of the file. Outlook 2010 changes how the Temp files are handled - it will delete them as soon as you close the message. If you do not save changes to the message (or save the attachment somewhere else), the edited attachment will not be saved, even though you pressed Save on the temp file.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Attachments opened from preview are ALWAYS read only. This did not change in Outlook 2010. In earlier versions, you could open a message, open the attachment, edit the attachment and save the changes back to the message. This works in Outlook 2010 only if you go into Edit mode.  (Move section of Home ribbon - Actions button)  

Yes, the older version were better in this respect.

The only options under the Move section of the Home Ribbons are Move, Rules and OneNote...nothing about Actions.  If I go to customise the ribbon I can see something about Form Actions, but I dont want to Merge or Export.

The only help I've seen about it, is to open the message, then add it as a custom button...but I can already open the attachment fine if I open the message.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:52 AM
  • You need to open the message then look on the Home ribbon for Actions menu.

The trust center settings get rid of the yellow button to enable editing (Protected View) - but (at least for me), the title bar still says (read only) you can only save a copy of the attachment, not save back to the message. The only way i know to get rid of the (read only) tag in the title bar is by using Edit mode.

Attachments should open fine from the reading pane too -  you'll save a copy if you edit and save it.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I can indeed Open the message and get the Actions > Edit Message option.  However, when I go back to the preview (Reading pane), it still opens as Read-Only.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:02 AM
  • I can indeed Open the message and get the Actions > Edit Message option.  However, when I go back to the preview (Reading pane), it still opens as Read-Only.

Attachments viewed or opened from the reading pane are always "read-only", in every version of Outlook. This applies to both attachments opened in their application and to documents previewed in the reading pane. This cannot be changed.

If you want to edit an attachment, you need to open in its application.
    If you open the attachment from the reading pane, you can only Save as a new document.
    If you open the message, then the attachment, its possible to save the edits back to the attachment on the message.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:25 PM
  • It would be a lot easier if Outlook provided a quick and easy way to save a file to a folder on your computer, delete it from the message (we've got to thing about the mailbox file size!), and - and this is the crucial bit that it won't do at present - save the full filename and path to the file in the email (attachment[s] saved as...). I know, you can do it by typing "Attachment saved as <file://[path]/[filename]>", and you can get add-ons that do this for you. But it could be made a lot quicker and easier...
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:50 AM
  • You can edit attachments and forward the existing email by enabling the option "Turn off Attachment Preview".

This can be found in Outlook->Options->Trust Center->Trust Center Settings->Attachment Handling->Attachment and Document Preview

Also the Protected View options for Excel+Outlook must be changed in order for this to work.

This setting must be changed in Excel. Go to Excel->Options->Trust Center->Trust Center Settings->Protected View-> deselect "Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments"

Regards,

Edit -

As stated before, you must open the attachment after opening the message itself. This will not work if the attachment is opened while in the reading pane.

• Edited by Dsoc1974 Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:46 PM Update
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Thanks for this tip, it's working for me in 3 out of 4 settings:

• rich text format, with .docx attachment
    • html format, with .docx attachment
    • html format, with .doc attachment

For some reason, rich text email with the older .doc format still opens as Read Only....

EDIT - I just found that if I open the message in question, in the Move section of the ribbon, if I drop down the Actions menu, then choose Edit Message, I can now edit it and save the changes in rich text with .doc format

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Thanks for this tip, it's working for me in 3 out of 4 settings:

• rich text format, with .docx attachment
    • html format, with .docx attachment
    • html format, with .doc attachment

For some reason, rich text email with the older .doc format still opens as Read Only....

EDIT - I just found that if I open the message in question, in the Move section of the ribbon, if I drop down the Actions menu, then choose Edit Message, I can now edit it and save the changes in rich text with .doc format

Did you check the File Block Settings in Word's options, Trust Center? If the document is blocked there, you may not be able to edit it.  

Monday, November 29, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Has a solution been posted?  I have users that send .pdf documents into a Public Folder...then a reviewer will actually look at the document and make any changes needed.  They are unable to simply open the file, make the change and save.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have "Turn off Attachment Preview" checked.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:16 PM
  • If turning off preview doesn't work, you need to the take message into Edit mode. You also need to open the PDF in Acrobat or another editor, not Reader. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/readonly_attach.asp 

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:24 PM
  • We do this all the time with Adobe Reader and our .pdf forms.  In Office 2k7 and below, you open the attachment, make your modification and save.  I could have the user do a save as, delete the old document and then add the new document...but it is highly unproductive.  Is there not a reg hack that will turn off this "fix"?
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:55 PM
  • No, there is no reg hack available at this time and I'm not expecting one because there are simple alternatives available. Did you try going into Edit message mode? It works for here in Acrobat, just as it does in older versions. (None of the PDFs i have in email have editable forms so i can't test it with Reader.)

Disabling attachment preview also works for me with Arcobat, but then all attachments need to be opened to read them. <yuck> Also note, you need to open the message to edit the attachment - you can't double click to open the attachment from preview and save it back to the message. This behavior has not changed in several versions - attachments opened from preview are always read only (messages in the reading pane are read-only for security reasons).

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:59 PM
  • See work around solution to add a Edit Message command button in Ribbon or Quick Access Toolbar. 

Hope it may help.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:44 AM
  • While the above are helpful and the edit button existing in emails does work is there any way to automatically add it for hundreds of users? My CFO wants it right...NOW.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:39 PM
  • The main issue here is simplicity. I want to make things as simple as possible and adding extra steps to anything results in many phone calls. Since nobody here has ever used an edit button before in an email it is a somewhat less than optimal solution and there is no way I can roll it out rapidly to a site. Is there any way some kind of attachment handling feature that would allow you to open an email, edit it, save the attachment back to the email and forward it on since the jump from Outlook/Office 2003 to 2010 is a big enough step as it is? Additionally my users are confronted with going from Windows XP to Windows 7 Virtual Desktops.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:58 PM
  • See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704589.aspx for information on deploying a custom ribbon.

Or you can disable attachment preview - this will allow the old edit behavior. Users will not be able to read attachments in the reading pane, but since that feature was not in outlook 2003, its something they won't miss in 2010.  Instructions are listed in at least one of the posts in this thread and also at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/readonly_attach.asp - this is in the adm templates and can easily be pushed out using gpo.

Because attachment preview is so convenient (and safe - the reading pane is read-only), deploying a customized ribbon is a better option IMHO. It's a little more effort than changing a GPO, but worth it.

Friday, February 11, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Just upgraded to 2010 and Windows 7 from 2003 and XP and wish to strongly register my support for you on this issue

Having to save attachments elsewhere and loosing that nice linkage is such a loss of functionality it seems astonishing.

I can understand the comment about best practice for security and authenticity, but most of us use Office for effectiveness, functionality and practicality and on these measures the change is a significant backward step.

So unhappy I've bothered to register into alll this just to be able to support you, if you succed I will get my time back; if not I will always be frustrated.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Thought I was lucky yesterday when I found this thread but it really only confirmed what we knew to be an issue.  Although after reading the above, and testing with several other users, we now know that the issue we thought was limited to 2 people is actually firm-wide (150+ people).  To make matters MUCH worse (and something I don't see anyone mention above) is that if...

- you have preview mode enabled, run Outlook 2010, run Exchange 2010, and

- receive an office document from OUTSIDE your domain, you will be able to open the attachment in edit mode from the get go (even from double clicking from the preview pane).

yep, no 'read-only mode' here, no 'warnings', just reach up and get bit by outside office document attachments.

does this seem backwards to anyone else besides me?

or am I just missing something?

Friday, April 22, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Thought I was lucky yesterday when I found this thread but it really only confirmed what we knew to be an issue.  Although after reading the above, and testing with several other users, we now know that the issue we thought was limited to 2 people is actually firm-wide (150+ people).  To make matters MUCH worse (and something I don't see anyone mention above) is that if...

- you have preview mode enabled, run Outlook 2010, run Exchange 2010, and

- receive an office document from OUTSIDE your domain, you will be able to open the attachment in edit mode from the get go (even from double clicking from the preview pane).

yep, no 'read-only mode' here, no 'warnings', just reach up and get bit by outside office document attachments.

does this seem backwards to anyone else besides me?

or am I just missing something?

So you are saying if someone outside the domain sends you a word doc, you can open it from the reading pane, edit it, then hit Save and the attachment on the email message is updated with the changes you made?

But if you get the same document from the guy down the hall, open it from the reading pane and edit it, you can't save changes back to the attachment on the message? You need to use "Save As" to save your edits to the hard drive. (This is the correct behavior, how it should be for all attachments- and how its been since outlook 2000.)

What has changed: previously you could open a message, open the attachment, edit it then Save and close the attachment, then Save and close the message and your edits would be saved back to the attachment in the email. Now you need to open the message in Edit message mode.

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Hi

Am I being thick?  If you open the email, and click 'forward' first, then on the forwarding email open the attachment, edit it, and click on save, you can then forward it instead - is this not just as easy?  Or is this not working for everyone?

Lozzy

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hi

Am I being thick?  If you open the email, and click 'forward' first, then on the forwarding email open the attachment, edit it, and click on save, you can then forward it instead - is this not just as easy?  Or is this not working for everyone?

Lozzy

1. the addresses are missing on forwards, so its an extra step.
    2. threading is broken.
    3. Some people just want to edit the copy they store in the mailbox and the forward method creates two copies. (the original and the forward)

Using edit mode is really easy and takes no more time than the forward method.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Hi Diane

Great, I see the difference now, and have managed to use your 'edit message' mode to set this up.  The only step that is missing is that I didn't have a customer group set up, but it was pretty obvious what to do there.

Thanks for the quick response, saved our company a fair bit of time I should imagine!  Just going through our upgrade as we speak.

Thanks

Lorraine

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Awesome, Thanks Greg.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:24 PM
  • After months of tilting my head to view pictures sent to me from my wife's iPhone I finally looked for a solution to the fact the picture was ReadOnly and could not be rotated without saving somewhere. Turning off attachment preview solved the problem. Thanks.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Thanks BongoBongoBongo.... totally the answer I was looking for!!!!
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:15 PM
  • I've just been upgraded (late-graded?) to Win 2010 and this is such an annoying feature!

For all of the comments about best practice etc - the MOST annoying thing is that people always send attachments poorly formatted for printing (or not formatted at all).  So you go to the effort of fixing the formatting so you can print yourself and then cannot save those changes back into the original email.

Thus if you have to print again, you have to fix the formatting again.

Totally NOT best practice.  This "Feature" really needs to be an option that can be switched on or off according to user preferences.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Although there is not a switch that says 'i want to edit attachments', technically, it can be switched off and on according to user preference - switch the open message to edit mode and the attachment can be edited. Or turn off attachment preview and it behaves like it did in older versions. See Edit attachments if you need step by step instructions.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:02 AM
  • The work around this new feature:

Open the email the select Actions on the ribbon bar select Edit message. The body of the message is now editable and open the attachment. The attachment is no longer in Read-Only format and changes to the attachment will now save back to the mail message. When you click to close the email you will be notified the body of the message has been changed and ask if you want to save the changes to the message, click yes and now your able to perform what you were once able to back in MS Outlook 2007.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:48 PM
  • I've been reading suggestions now for a couple of hours and  trying with out success until this from timm88, thank you this fixed it for me, company recently updated to 2010 and I respond on a lot of pdf's and it became clear real quick I didn't like having to save as, then attach new to respond.  
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Who said sliced bread is a good thing?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:10 PM
  • We often send around one document with a large table for each contributor to update their section.  When it arrived in my box, I'd click "reply all" then edit the attachment, save it to that reply email, and then send it.  I then have the edited document in my sent folder, and the original still in the inbox.  No increased risk of loss.

Yes, we have SharePoint, but it's a royal pain to have to set up a site, give everyone the necessary permissions, and manage those permissions as different folk take on different roles.  Not to mention training. MUCH easier the way it was before.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Unfortunately, the work around he provides saves the edited file back to the original message.  Instead, before opening an attachment for editing, click Forward, but before sending, open the attachment, edit it, then save it.  THEN forward the message with the edited document.  You're original is still in the inbox, and the edited version is in the Sent folder.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:01 PM
  • I believe the reason why this is the case (attachments are read-only by default when opened in Outlook) because, if you received an e-mail from someone with a word document attachment, you can then modify its content, save the attachment on that same email, save/close the email. The document now on that email that you have received from someone is now modified by you. It won't save it to a new folder or something. It'll save it back to where the e-mail is e.g. Inbox. So the next time you open the email, you'll see the modified changes.

Anyways, there's a way to get the "old" behavior of Outlook where you can open an email attachment and save it on the same email. All you have to do is add the Edit Message from the Quick Toolbar. Here's a detailed instructions for it: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/2010/edit-and-save-outlook-2010-attachments

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:56 PM
  • how  send  attachment to email  l try  send attachment to email my friend  why  cant send  attachment to email my friend try send attachment to email  to me  but  cant send it   what wrong with send attachments to email  before  l always send attachment to email to friend  that fine   what happened to send attachment to email   wont work send it  please  open  send attachment to email 
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:43 AM