none
Big problem: How do I view message headers in SENT emails in Outlook 2010? Re Lost emails.

Question

• Hi all, I am having a real problem. Hope you can help. I posted in the Microsoft help forum under Outlook and they directed me here.

About one in 500 emails sent by me is either not received by the sender - (not in their junk box or on their black list), or the email sent by the sender is not received by me. Neither party receives a bounce-back that the message was not delivered, so each assumes the other is not responding. Those are only the ones I know about.

I've had contacts send me messages in linkedin saying they can't reach me!! In business that creates a real problem.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can determine. Sending emails back and forth to those same contacts before and after the missing email works fine.

The hosting company says the only way to track down the problem is to view the message headers. I've read some other threads on this site and can view a header in my inbox (file, view, properties), but when I try that with 'sent' emails it is blank.

Hosting company says either provide headers or use another email program ie not outlook to try and identify the problem

Questions:
    1. Is it possible to view the headers in 'sent' emails and if so, how do I do that?
    2. Any other ideas for 'mystery' lost emails either sent or received? Obviously, unless someone lets me know I'm not responding, I have no way of knowing what is or isn't delivered.
    3. Why am I not getting an 'undeliverable' if the person isn't receiving the email?
    4. Any other ideas I'll take them!

Thanks so much to anyone for helping me try and resolve this issue.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 12:17 PM

All replies

• Sent messages don't have headers because headers are added by the mail server after its sent.

What type of email account do you use? What antivirus do you use? The missing messages could be flagged by antivirus or antispam software on either end. WHen this happens, NDR aren't sent.

You can enable read and delivery receipts, although they aren't 100% accurate as not every server and client returns receipts.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Thanks Diane

I use a POP account, and Norton Internet Security. The mystery is, the missing emails (the ones that I'm aware of, of course!) are from those who in the past have sent emails or I have sent emails successfully to, and when we find out about the missing emails and do a test, the emails are successfully sent back and forth by both parties. I simply don't know why the odd email sent to me or by me goes into a black hole with no 'undeliverable' or 'error' messages. Missing messages aren't in either party's spam folders.

I'm simply at a loss as to what to do to solve the problem. If I enable delivery receipts, how do I 'match' them up over a few weeks after sending hundreds of emails? I'll end up with hundreds of 'confirmed' receipts but is it accurate? How will I know it actually got there?

It also doesn't solve the problem of people sending me emails and I don't receive them. I appreciate the 'read receipt' advice, but from a business perspective I find that a bit of a personal intrusion, a bit 'off putting' for the recipient - not the impression I'd want to give.

Thoughts? Thanks so much.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 12:15 PM