none
Office 2010 offline help files "access denied"

Question

• Actually 2 questions

If a user, other than an administrator, logs into a machine with Office 2010 and attempts to use the help button in the top right corner, the user gets an access denied message and an "XML page can not be displayed".  If the user chooses to connect to Office.com they are able to without a problem.  What is causing this error?

Second question ... if I, as an administrator, open the help I don't have a problem with the offline help topics.  I'm able to open the links and when I check the properties I get the following URL "ms-help://MS.WINWORD.14.1033/WINWORD/content/HA10368884.htm" ... I've serached my computer for the htm file thinking that might be the issue and users just dont have permissions to that location but I'm not finding that anywhere .... any suggestions?

Thanks!

Monday, October 04, 2010 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The two questions may be related to one reason: The users do not have permission to access Office offline help files.

Try check the permission of the folder:  

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Right click the folder and choose Properties, then security, make sure the users can access the folder and have read & execute permission.

You can also take ownership of the folder by the command:

=============

1.       In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

Note:  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note 2: In Windows XP, click Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter.

<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-

• Edited by Sally Tang Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:35 AM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

The two questions may be related to one reason: The users do not have permission to access Office offline help files.

Try check the permission of the folder:  

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Right click the folder and choose Properties, then security, make sure the users can access the folder and have read & execute permission.

You can also take ownership of the folder by the command:

=============

1.       In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

Note:  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note 2: In Windows XP, click Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter.

2.       Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f  <path>

cacls <path> /G administrators:F

3.       Restart the computer to check the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:28 AM
  • No such folder exists any longer ... only Temp. 

Users do not have the right to "Run as Administrator"

Not trying to give users any other permissions.  The same users can access offline help features on Windows 7 (Office 2010) but not in Windows XP (Office 2010)

Any others?

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Bumping to get more views.  Please ... any suggestions would be great.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 1:31 PM