none
Outlook 2010 and NormalEmail.dotm

Question

• Does Outlook 2010 use a normalemail.dotm in the same maner as Outlook 2007 and if so, can you customize this file. Additionally, if you can customize it, where does it reside?

Thanks

Friday, January 07, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, Normalemail.dotm has the same maner in Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010. You can create and use Email Templates in Outlook 2010 by following steps:

1. To start out with creating a template, launch Outlook 2010, head over to Home tab and click New E-mail.
    2. Start composing an email, enter recipients email address(es), subject and main email body text.

3. Now on File menu, click Save as. From Save as type list, select Outlook Template and give template an appropriate name.

4. For using this template, navigate to Developer tab (in case you don’t find Developer tab, go to File menu, click Options, and in left pane click Customize Ribbon, from right pane enable Developer check-box. Click OK to to see Developer tab on the ribbon.)

5. Now head over to Developer tab, click Choose Form. It will bring up Choose Form dialog, From Look In drop-down list, select User Templates in File System, from main dialog window, select the previously created template and click Open.

6. It will immediately open email template, with same subject, recipients email addresses, theme and email body text. Now you can send it and use this template again by following the same procedure.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hi Jennifer,

This does help in some respects. But what if I want to create a template that holds true whenever i create a new email without having to always choose the form. Can i do this with the NormalEmail.dotm and if so how. When I try and edit the normalemail.dotm file the changes are not reflected in outlook

Thanks

Patrick Whittington

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Is there a way to add a custom ribbon element that has all the email templates you created, without having to go through the 4-6 steps you listed?
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:44 PM